PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot Jay is a Goddam Dumbass

fat_nutz
12-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Check out today's Jackpot Jay editorial. How can this hack have a widely-read poker column and get away with publishing crap that would be mercilessly ridiculed here and elsewhere among knowledgeable poker circles? I hope his computer explodes in his face and kills him. Honestly, he's TRULY bad for the game.

kenberman
12-14-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, he's TRULY bad for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the precise reasons you mention, he is actually quite good for the game. (provided you like to win)

fat_nutz
12-14-2004, 02:38 PM
How can he not be bad for the game, when he discourages tight weak players from trying out online poker by spreading conspiracy/cheating fears?

nolanfan34
12-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Matt Matros' response to him is awesome though. Does he post here? Because it was exactly what most 2+2ers would tell someone who thinks that internet poker is rigged.

Jay's problem is that he's just not as good as he thinks he is from what I've read. All of those hands he mentioned he could have potentially played better, besides the A9 hand maybe. I don't think he realizes that $20-$40 limit online, and $5-$10 NL are much tougher than B&M at the same level.

kenberman
12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can he not be bad for the game, when he discourages tight weak players from trying out online poker by spreading conspiracy/cheating fears?

[/ QUOTE ]

Discouraging tight/weak players? When did he mention this?

He talks about the same things 2+2'ers talk about here. Sure he's a bit more skeptical, and he talks about playing online himself. He's doing marketing work for the online poker industry.

If you want him to write his articles about the virtues of online poker and how it a utupion la-la land, well then he's not being a journalist, is he? He would then be a PR agent for the online poker industry.

wayabvpar
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
I think the subject line says it all. I still read his column whenever it show up, but I spend most of my time shaking my head and wishing I could get in a game with him /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CountDuckula
12-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Who's Jackpot Jay, and where do I go to read his drivel?

-Mike

spadeclub99
12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
ESPN website, Page 2

Yobz
12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
This guy either needs to learn how to play or find himself a good pattern mapper /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I like how he never mentioned any hands where he sucked out on his opponent.

snowlarbear
12-14-2004, 04:53 PM
but he's up 14,000 for the year (of course he's been playing full time)

CountDuckula
12-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the pointer. I see what you guys mean. Sigh.... Too bad he's on a major website; he probably will scare some fish away.

If someone is convinced that online poker is rigged, nothing anyone can say will dissuade them. Similarly my mother is convinced the World Series is rigged to go 7 games, to squeeze all the profits they can out of it. When I point out that many of them don't reach 7 games, her response is, "Oh, they have to do that to make it look good." There's just no arguing with that mindset.

-Mike

Tim&Joe
12-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Tim: Question for you Joe.

Joe: Shoot Tim

Tim: Would be fair to judge fat_nutz as a "goddam dumbass" based on one sample of his writings?

Joe: Tim it's my opinion that it would not only be fair but also appropriate.

Tim: Guess that was an obvious one, huh Joe?

Joe: Yes, yes it was Tim.

Tim: /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 05:13 PM
I didn't take his article to mean that he thought it was rigged but that because of the things pointed out by Matros, it is easy to become paranoid about such things even though they don't exist.

M2d
12-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Tell your mom that Bud Selig is floating a secret proposal to make the WS a best of 51 affair. See what she says about the conspiracy then.

M2d
12-14-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of those hands he mentioned he could have potentially played better, besides the A9 hand maybe. I don't think he realizes that $20-$40 limit online, and $5-$10 NL are much tougher than B&M at the same level.

[/ QUOTE ]
iirc, he popped it preflop with A9s and way overbet the pot when he flopped a midrange top pair on a rainbow board. I think he could have played that one better too.

jacksup
12-20-2004, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Matt Matros' response to him is awesome though. Does he post here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once in a while.

Uglyowl
12-20-2004, 11:30 AM
He was up $30K earlier in the year... won a $10K WPT seat from a satellite and lost in that tourney.

nolanfan34
12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since the guy looks up to you, tell him he could be well served to take a closer look at the 2+2 books, instead of dismissing them as being too math-based and boring to read. I don't think he thinks he's making mistakes in the hands that he's posting, but there are clearly spots where he is.

AncientPC
12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since the guy looks up to you, tell him he could be well served to take a closer look at the 2+2 books, instead of dismissing them as being too math-based and boring to read. I don't think he thinks he's making mistakes in the hands that he's posting, but there are clearly spots where he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say leave him in the dark, no need to educate fish who'd rather whine and cry bad beats instead of self-improvement.

Jay36489
12-20-2004, 10:23 PM
This moron posts some terrible play and then whines.

[ QUOTE ]
And then came the following hand in a six-handed $20-40 limit game ...

In first position after the blinds, I looked down to find A-5 suited. I raised, and got four callers (it gives one a warm feeling to know that one's opponents really respect one's raises, does it not?).

The flop came A-Q-5, rainbow. I checked. Someone else bet. I called, and the other three guys folded. The turn was an apparent blank. I bet. The other guy raised. I re-raised, and he took the final raise.

"A set?" I thought to myself. "Has to be. Just my luck."

A Q came on the river. I checked. He bet. I called.

He turned over a Q-9 suited.

And I couldn't help myself. I started to think, "It's as if he knew that card was coming." Off the betting -- especially my re-raise -- I had to have at least an A with a good kicker and probably two pair. Which means he had, at most, five outs -- or, more likely, as was in fact the case, two.

[/ QUOTE ]

He played like he didn't have an ace so the guy pushed with his queen and eventually outdrew him. Then he says the guy should have known he had an ace? God what a tool...