PDA

View Full Version : Thread/Post of the Year (Politics)

Men the Master
12-14-2004, 02:00 PM
What/Who are the Thread of the Year, Post of the Year, and Poster of the Year here on the Politics forum for 2004? Why?

Toro
12-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Thread of the year: Election predictions threads by Dynasty were uncannily accurate.

Poster of the year: Of course, Dynasty

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Thread of the year was the election day thread covering the options contracts on GWB in which he started the day a heacy favorite, then went to basically having no chance at all, to eventually winning. It was insane

Poster of the Year Dynasty, Andy Fox, or GWB

Post of the year. Jimbo's preelection prediction of a massive republican sweep.

chabibi
12-14-2004, 04:22 PM
zaxx

he might have a few loose screws but definitely makes the forum more interesting

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thread of the year: Election predictions threads by Dynasty were uncannily accurate.

Poster of the year: Of course, Dynasty

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, even though Dynasty is right leaning, his post are very informed and concise.

Victor
12-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Wooly, Dr. Wooga and Felix.

Throw in some Chris Alger, Pittm and Christina for good measure.

wacki
12-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Dynasty without question for both content and analysis.

Nicky G gets a runner up in my book for content. I don't always agree with his analysis as he is probably far left, but he is an excellent source of information. It's too bad he stopped posting after the election.

MMMMMM and Utah posts were always worth reading.

And of course Gamblor whenever a Jew was involved, who would be counterbalanced by Nicky G.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
forgot about Nicky G, nice.

adios
12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Apparently the most underrated poster is Elwood. He's definitely one of the "sharpest tacks in the box" for my money.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Adios, you post some good content as well.

I don't think I can leave this thread without also saying I enjoy about 60% of Cyrus' posts. I suppose I could say that same % for most of the posters in this forum though.

wacki
12-14-2004, 07:56 PM
[censored], how could I forget Adios! Always a good read.

Utah
12-14-2004, 09:46 PM
I would say GWB by far. He was simply awesome.

There are a lot of good posters here so it is hard to single anyone out. However, I learned the most from Elwood, Nicky G, and Andy Fox.

Cyrus gets an honorable mention because every board needs an entertaining whack job /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zaxx19
12-14-2004, 10:44 PM
In a fit of modesty I second CHABISIS vote...wait ive only been a reader-contributor for like a month.

andyfox
12-15-2004, 12:53 AM
I vote GWB for poster of the year. Although we disagreed on practically everything, I found him the most entertaining and engaged poster.

Post of the year: Dynasty's intelligent, informed, concise and right-on election prediction. Another poster with whom I usually disagree (on politics), but it's a pleasure to read his posts.

Not sure about thread of the year. None come to mind that compare to some that Sklansky started in the Psychology Forum.

wacki
12-15-2004, 02:02 AM
What does elwoodblues do for a living? Does anyone know? I'm curious if he does anything politics related or not.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 02:04 AM
I believe he is an attorney.

jokerswild
12-15-2004, 07:42 AM
American haters like you, adios,and MMMM are a disgrace to the men and women that have given their lives for this country. You are such a cowardly chicken hawk that Bush the deserter would consider you a wimp.

elwoodblues
12-15-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm an attorney by trade but don't actively practice. I work for an on-line legal research provider.

elwoodblues
12-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the undeserved compliment.

For what it's worth, I have enjoyed most of the threads on this board in which I've participated this year. On the whole I have been enlightened on countless occassions.

There are a core of probably 10-15 posters that are invaluable and 5-6 who contribute both a lot and nothing at the same time. I'll leave it to your own imagination to attribute names to the numbers /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There are a core of probably 10-15 posters that are invaluable and 5-6 who contribute both a lot and nothing at the same time. I'll leave it to your own imagination to attribute names to the numbers /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I could take a guess, but I think there really is no need. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

adios
12-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Actually I hesitated to mention any being afraid to ignore someone. But thanks Wacki and TSC.

adios
12-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I know Cyrus bought the tanker stocks like I told him to and he's happy for listening to me. If you'd just pay attention you'd be a lot better off. Can't figure out why you want to persist in your flames and homophobic ways.

When in the hell are you going to get with the Bush Adminisration program for crying out loud.

Feliz Navidad.

adios
12-15-2004, 01:25 PM

Cyrus
12-15-2004, 04:40 PM
For my money: Dynasty gets the nod for POTY for his Electoral College prediction.

As to the various posters on this wretched forum, here's the view from my side of the pond:

Those who make an effort to substantiate their posts and offer some arguments, are not hard to spot, no matter how much one may disagree with their positions: MMMMMM tries to offer justification and will google; adios reads a lot and, when out of stubborn-mule mode, will engage in soul searching debate (viz. the unemployment thread); HDPM and Dynasty are tough nuts and smart cookies at the same time. Same goes for ex-GWB, aka Broken Glass Can, the damn bastard (and his stooopid president).

There are posters who can't get arsed about posting more than a couple of paragraphs (call 'em The Great Bandwidth Savers), so not a lot of substantiation or cites, there, but no lunacy either. Just laconic practicality: that's Daryn, Kurns, ThaSaltCracka, Natedogg. (I had Jimbo in there as well but he slipped and broke the part that connects brain with typing finger. Get better, Jim.)

Cardcounter0 is simply misunderstood; his humour is going over people's heads. Elwoodblues I read always because he always has something to say, and there's beef in that burger. Jakethebake and Lastchance will entertain opposite views and offer not just naysaying but actual rebuttals; which is more than one can say about most of us here. AC Player could prove mathematically all his points -- so don't provoke 'im.

Chris Alger provokes extreme hostility for one simple reason: He supports extremely unpopular positions and, the worst sin of all, supports them with logic, sources and quotations from "the other side". Where is the HUAC when we need it?

OK, now, young Christina B always posts completely naked; hold that thought.

Utah is kinda schizophrenic! He will alternate between absence of reason -and- the voice of reason itself! No middle ground. Could be the typing in high altitudes. Wacki, your posts' special gravity is on the up, there's hope for ya yet, no matter what politics you support!

Gamblor may be an extreme Zionist and an admirer of terrorism, if it's coming from the "right side", but his posts more often than not contain points worthy of a debate. (Zaxx19 may one day grow up and be like that, i.e. less looney.)

Speaking of looneys: I have W00lly right up there, along with, from my side of the field, I guess, jokerswild, who should just shape up! But our rear is ably and deservedly brought up by Wogga.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 05:47 PM
this post cracked me up, I also had to use a dictionary to look up "laconic". I have said to much already though /images/graemlins/blush.gif

nice one Cyrus!

BadBoyBenny
12-15-2004, 09:55 PM
That I am entering the race for next year's poster of the year. My first mission is to read enough Noam Chomsky to make a contribution to the thread.

Chris Alger
12-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Best posters: Nicky and Cyrus. Hon. mention to ACPlayer, PTTM and Victor. Most of the rest are babbling.

Zeno
12-16-2004, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the rest are babbling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or having fun. Or does fun enter into your world? I hope so.

Merry Christmas.

-Zeno

Zeno
12-16-2004, 02:45 AM
I agree that Dynasty made the obvious post of the year.

I actually read it.

I don't read or participate enough to make an unbiased call on the other questions.

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't read or participate enough to make an unbiased call on the other questions.

[/ QUOTE ] hmmmm.... you use to.

riverflush
01-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I stopped posting in Politics 1 week prior to the election...but I have to say there are a few folks who certainly have put forth some reasoned, measured, and thoughtful arguments on here - a nice surprise when it happens.

I wish more people had the ability to be both opinionated AND steeped in reality. Too often people are so enamored with their own positions that they cannot see workings of reality right in front of their face. (for clarity: see any of my pre-election posts)

vulturesrow
01-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I dont disagree with most of the sentiments here. I will say in my mind the most amazing thread of the year was the one on hate crimes wherein Cyrus and I both wholeheartedly supported the same side of the debate. I thought it was a pretty good year in general for this forum (once it got established). Kudos to all of you on both sides of the fence.