PDA

View Full Version : Books on Zen

The Dude
12-14-2004, 12:52 PM
I've decided to buy 3 or 4 books on Zen, and more than just familiarize myself with it. I need some recommendations on good books and translations to get me started, and to take me a step past introduction.

turnipmonster
12-14-2004, 01:12 PM
I assume you've read Alan Watts and D.T. Suzuki?

The Dude
12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
I have read neither, although I recognize DT Suzuki. Is he the one who wrote Zen Buddhism? I looked through a lot of books at Borders yesterday, but didn't have any idea what to get.

jakethebake
12-14-2004, 01:27 PM
My personal favorite is The Unfettered Mind. The Method of Zen by Herrigel and The Way of Zen by Watts are sort of classics. There's tons of reading on the Internet for free too.

turnipmonster
12-14-2004, 01:32 PM
disclaimer: I am no expert

for starters I recommend "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts, and D.T. Suzuki's "Introduction to Zen Buddhism". Also by D.T. Suzuki are the "Essays on Zen Buddhism", I think a couple of volumes of essays by Suzuki.

Suzuki is basically the guy you want to read, however I have a soft spot for Watts and he does have an interesting perspective on it being a westerner. Also he provides a good historical overview of Buddhism which is necessary.

--turnipmonster

NLSoldier
12-14-2004, 02:06 PM
WHY?

jakethebake
12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WHY?

[/ QUOTE ]
WHY? Let's meditate on that.....

The Dude
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Personal development, in addition to a growing interest in other cultures.

I went on a spending spree at Border's yesterday, and ended up getting Les Miserables (both the abridged and unabridged versions), The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Book of Five Rings, The Art of War (Sun Tsu), and several Michael Crichton books that ought to have been in my collection much sooner. I wanted to get some books on Zen, but didn't really know where to start.

Phat Mack
12-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I'd go with Zen and the Art of Archery. After that, I'd go to a book store and start pulling books off the shelf and reading a few pages. D.T. Suzuki is considered good, but some of his stuff is written better than others.

jakethebake
12-14-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
D.T. Suzuki is considered good, but some of his stuff is written better than others.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of it's repetitive too.

deacsoft
12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with Zen and the Art of Archery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't yet read this one but have heard nothing but good things about it.

jakethebake
12-14-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with Zen and the Art of Archery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't yet read this one but have heard nothing but good things about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's good. I read it years ago when i was into the martial arts. You see it quoted a lot and in some very different places.

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
which crichton books?

btw, i do the same about every 2-3 months at borders or B&N. Now if I could get around to reading more than just one book each time. my library is getting pretty sweet though.

jakethebake
12-14-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to get some books on Zen, but didn't really know where to start.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aaaah, Grasshopper. There is no start....and no end....only the journey.

cnfuzzd
12-14-2004, 05:50 PM
zen is just another theoretical approch to everyday that allows you to believe that you are doing something. read "Total Freedom" by krishna Murti. Possibly the best book ever. For what its worth though, after you read the book, it will probably get destroyed somehow. Every copy ive ever known to be read all the way through has ended up destroyed in some strange occurence.

That having been said, Zen is pretty nice, and i found a decent starting place with "the Buddhist bible" as well as the other titles mentioned here.

peace

john nickle

The Dude
12-14-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which crichton books?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Prey, and State of Fear - the former two I have read, but did not own. There are now only one or two Crichton books I don't own.

MMMMMM
12-14-2004, 11:18 PM
I've read perhaps as many as 50 books over the years on or related to Zen. Here's my take on a handful:

"POP ZEN" BOOKS

Zen In The Art Of Archery: a fun read; nice, thoughful. It doesn't go super-deep but it is delightful and provocative; well worth reading.

D.T. Suzuki: well known and respected, but not a Zen Master. A scholar and a practitioner, but never attained enlightenment, according to some in the direct lineage. Good basic reportage; good basic reading. If you read one Suzuki book, read The Three Pillars of Zen.

Alan Watts: very "Pop-Zen"-ish,; many of his books harp on similar themes and threads, interesting with some insights but IMO somewhat one-dimensional. I can't help but feel a sense of subtle shallowness though I could be wrong about this. Worth reading one of his books anyway.

The Snow Leopard (Matthiessen): Fascinating journal; more to it than meets the eye; it will transport you.

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance (Pirsig): Interesting read, but IMO has fairly little to do with Zen.

DEEPER ZEN BOOKS

Nine-Headed Dragon River (Matthiessen): A good read; you will be introduced to some modern-day authentic Zen Masters and their thoughts, personalities and histories. The author weaves his own personal journeys and quests into the book. Both a preface and continuation for The Snow Leopard. Very very good.

Zen Training (Katsuki Sekida): A tremendous book. This book offers more in the way of actual training techniques for Zen and Zen Meditation than any other book in English. It also offers psychological insights pertaining to Zen. A very solid and detailed approach and explanation. If you only read 3 or 4 Zen books, this should definitely be one; it is that good.

Endless Vow: The Zen Path of Soen Nakagawa A beautiful book of a beautiful human spirit, his poetry and Zen thoughts and his life. Not a "must read" but very special.

ESSENTIAL ZEN TEXTS (translated):

The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng (Shambhala Press?): Very important texts. The Diamond Sutra (or Diamond-Cutter Sutra) is considered excellent for cutting through delusion.

The Zen Teaching of Bodhiharma (tr. by Red Pine): Really good essential Zen.

The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On The Transmission Of Mind: This too is good stuff, but not as clear and essential as the two listed above it.

Shobogenzo: The classic text of Dogen, the classic of the Soto (soft) school of Zen. For me a difficult read. A highly esteemed work, though.

The Wu-Men Kuan (or Mumonkan)(by Robert Aitken): the koan classic, with hints and thoughts as well. Well written and powerful, and will make you "think". Robert Aitken, a Zen Master, has written other good books on Zen and his style is very approachable.

Any book by Thich Nhat Hanh: another very approachable author and a Zen Master. He covers The Heart Sutra (Heart of Understanding) in one book.

The Heart Sutra: This, along with The Diamond Sutra, and the Sutra of Hui-Neng, are among the most important texts in Zen. Strangely, another towering text, The Lotus Sutra, I found less to my liking and less interesting.

OK that is enough for now. If I had to pick a few, they would probably be:

1. Zen Training (Sekida) (a 'must' read for those wishing to pursue Zen)

2. Nine-Headed Dragon River (Matthiessen) (a terrific book; enjoyable and fascinating. A deep true journey and story.

3. The Zen Teaching of Bodhiharma (tr. Red Pine)

4. The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng (the translation which has both in the one book is the one you want)

5. The Wu-Men Kuan (Aitken)

6. For a lighter yet good read, Zen In The Art Of Archery (Herrigel). Good introductory of sorts, also.

crash
12-15-2004, 12:05 AM
I'll bet that you don't finish The Iliad and The Odyssey. No offense. I admire the goals though.

which translations of those did you get?

sublime
12-15-2004, 12:06 AM
I've decided to buy 3 or 4 books on Zen, and more than just familiarize myself with it. I need some recommendations on good books and translations to get me started, and to take me a step past introduction.

doesnt your roomate have a good selection already?

thatpfunk
12-15-2004, 12:16 AM
not to hijack, but buy something written by charles bukowski next time your at borders. you won't regret it even though he has nothing to do with zen.

turnipmonster
12-15-2004, 01:56 AM
great list man! thanks for reminding me of thich nhat hahn, the first book I ever read about eastern philosophy was "the miracle of mindfulness" when I was in the 6th grade. really inspiring stuff.

MMMMMM
12-15-2004, 02:27 AM
Did I say The Three Pillars of Zen was by Suzuki? Rather, it is by Philip Kapleau. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

By the way, Suzuki is the quintessential Zen scholar.

MMMMMM
12-15-2004, 02:32 AM
Glad to see someone else has a similar interest;-)

Your reading of this stuff started a bit earlier than did mine; I read a lot of it during the high school years.

I would have listed more titles but wanted to keep the list somewhat select. There is however one very good rather obscure text, the title of which I have been trying to recall for a long time now.

Zeno
12-15-2004, 02:47 AM
I started to read some Alan Watts in High School - he was very popular then. I don't think I even finished whatever book it was.

I did read 'The Snow Leopard', back in the 1980's. I really enjoyed it. Did not know that Matthiessen had written a follow up book.

By the way, I was born a Zen Master. May seem fantastic, but true.

-Zeno

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Zen Training (Sekida) (a 'must' read for those wishing to pursue Zen)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I forgot that one. And definitely read The Unfettered Mind. It's an easy read. A small, short paperback, but very good.

The once and future king
12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I recommond "Zen and the art of buying books on Zen"

If you can find this then you are sorted.

MMMMMM
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Yes, I read The Unfettered Mind and probably still have it in a box somewhere (though I lost many books in two moves over the years). Iinteresting stuff, though I don't recall it as clearly or entirely as some other books. I agree it is worth reading.

fnord_too
12-15-2004, 11:16 AM
"Zen Flesh Zen Bones" is good (I think that is the book I am thinking of). It has a bunch of Zen stories that are great.

tek
12-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Read books by Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris.