PDA

View Full Version : What is the best day for the post OIC freeroll

Gaming Club
12-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi All,

We’re soliciting feedback as to when the $1000 freeroll for OIC participants who reached the 1/2 level should take place. The time would be 6PM EST (to be kinder to our European friends who took part and still be at a reasonable time for the US).

We also have a limited selection as far as dates go because the day staff contingent of our organization will soon be out of the office over the Christmas period. In the meantime, we'd appreciate it if you could please select one of the following dates in the poll below.

Alternatively, if this is too short notice, we're happy to do it for early January as it's not that far off and might be better after the Christmas holidays:

CountDuckula
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
I voted for January, and would prefer a weekend date (Jan. 8 or later). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

Mike Haven
12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Filler:

London.

The train was very crowded, so the US soldier walked the length of the train, looking for an empty seat. The only unoccupied seat was directly adjacent to a well dressed middle-aged French lady and was being used by her little dog.

The war weary soldier asked, "Please ma'am, may I sit in that seat?"

The French woman looked down her nose at the soldier, sniffed and said, "You Americans..You are such a rude class of people. Can't you see my little Fifi is using that seat?"

The soldier walked away, determined to find a place to rest, but after another futile trip down to the end of the train, found himself again facing the woman with the dog.

Again he asked, "Please lady, may I sit there? I'm very tired."

The French woman wrinkled her nose and snorted, "You Americans! Not only are you rude, you are also arrogant."

The soldier didn't say anything else; he leaned over, picked up the little dog, tossed it out the window of the train and sat down in the empty seat.

The woman shrieked and railed, and demanded that someone defend her and chastise the soldier.

An English gentleman sitting across the aisle spoke up: "You know sir, you Americans do seem to have a penchant for doing the wrong thing. You eat holding the fork in the wrong hand. You drive your cars on the wrong side of the road. And now, sir, you've thrown the wrong bitch out the window."

pc in NM
12-14-2004, 03:58 PM
The 6PM EST start time is unfriendly to us here in the West - I work til 5-5:30, and having it before that on a workday is difficult to impossible....

What about a weekend day if the start time MUST be at 6PM EST?

CountDuckula
12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 6PM EST start time is unfriendly to us here in the West - I work til 5-5:30, and having it before that on a workday is difficult to impossible....

What about a weekend day if the start time MUST be at 6PM EST?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I didn't even notice that bit. Yeah, 6pm on a weekday is bad for East Coasters like myself (Boston area), and hideous for West Coasters (at least, those of us who work in daytime jobs). I often don't leave work until 6:30pm Eastern, and frequently don't get online until 9pm or later. I'll redouble my pleas for a weekend date.

-Mike

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 04:50 PM
I would think 9PM EST makes the most sense.

Michael J. Sykes
12-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Given the stated start time, I would be able to participate only on a Wednesday or Thursday. If the start time were 3:30am (est), I could play nearly any day! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-MJS

CountDuckula
12-14-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To some extent, but then I'd have pressure on the other end; I have a long commute (40 min. on a really good day, an hour or more on a bad one), and need to think about getting to bed at a reasonable hour. Yes, I'm thinking about this from a selfish point of view, but a weekend should allow the greatest number of people to play (there are always those who work weekends or have some other reason they can't play then, but I'd think the vast majority would have the most discretionary time then).

The afternoon of Jan. 8 or 9 would be ideal, from my perspective. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

Art Vandelay
12-14-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm a West Coast guy and would prefer a weekend date as well. At 3pm every weekday I have a date working for the man.

Rudbaeck
12-14-2004, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that 4AM CET makes any sense at all. There were plenty of us euros in the OIC, and while I understand that you americans desperately need an advantage this is a bit much. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Postpone it to january and run it on a weekend, then you can squeeze it into a time that is sane in both the US and Europe at once. (Sorry aussies and kiwis, you don't count!)

CountDuckula
12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
bump

elric
12-16-2004, 02:50 PM
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. The Euros out there can just stay up and play it like a redeye freeroll. I believe the Americans are the majority here.

Lets shoot for a 9 PM EST or later start!

elric
12-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Lets also see if we can start with 1500 chips and let some skill enter this badboy. If we only get 1000 chips I am all in with the first hand no matter what.

konions
01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Anyone heard any more about the timing of this?

pc in NM
01-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Yeah! Let's do it!!!

Gaming Club
01-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Our tournament director will be arriving back from vacation next week and we'll then poll for a weekend date once they're back in office and we've gone over the months tournament schedule.

Regarding starting chips and blind escalations etc. we'll definitely look at customizing the structure to promote as much play as possible.

actyper
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd prefer a smaller starting chip count. There won't be too many crazy freeroll allinners, due to requiring some skill to get into this freeroll. No need to make it a 6hr tourney for a $1k prize pool. IMO.

konions
01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Was the number of people qualifying for the freeroll ever reported? If it was, I missed it. Assuming the number is manageable (and my guess is less than 100), I don't think it will be a marathon even if the starting chips/blind levels are less frantic than normal.

That said, a crapshoot would suit me fine as I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be rather outgunned in this one /images/graemlins/smile.gif