PDA

View Full Version : Portable DVD Players

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 11:23 AM
I was planning on getting a plain old Dvd player for my house, as I am tired of using my PS2 for a variety of reasons.

I started looking at players and respective prices and realized how cheap portable DVD players had become.

any tips when buying these? anything in particular I should seek out/avoid?

these looked cool, although the wait time for the first one kinda sucks.

Portable player w games and swivel head (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_pgb_r_3_0_1042080/601-7806342-4766560?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00062J 3L4)

another one (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-7--DVD-Player--DVD-LS50-/sem/rpsm/oid/92936/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

any other recommendations?

thanks

fsuplayer

Topflight
12-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I just walked into Best Buy and grabbed a Magnavox MPD820. I wasn't looking for anything amazing since I just want to watch a dvd on my plane ride next week.

It was $300 and seems kinda shitty quality wise. It has an 8" display though and works, which is all I wanted. And the money wasn't a huge deal to me.

I guess my point is that they are getting dirt cheap, but you can kinda tell. The ones cheaper than this one seemed even shoddier. It seemed like $300 got me a lower midrange product.

I also could have gotten ripped off. I did no market research, I just walked into BB and grabbed my favorite of the 5 they had sitting there. So I didn't even have much of a selection.

My point is that maybe anything < 300 is gunna be crap. I could be wrong. I just letting you know what I did. Maybe the one I bought is actually decent and I just have high standards. I seems kinda plain jane to me though.

BusterStacks
12-14-2004, 12:09 PM
i borrowed my moms portable dvd player and it's a worthless piece of crap. I tried watching Friday, and the sound of the dvd drive was overpowering. I dunno if they're all like this, but it was unacceptable.

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 12:17 PM
brand name?

BusterStacks
12-14-2004, 12:19 PM
"Mintek" - heh, upon further reflection, perhaps this does not represent the quality of other portable players.

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 12:37 PM
lol. ill be sure and stay away from that one.

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
anybody?

Rob Blackburn
12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
I bought the Polaroid PDV-700, I wanted one for less than $200(something cheaper because I can garuntee I will break it within a few months). It seems pretty good for now, the screen is decent, and it gets pretty good battery life. I looked at the other ones when I was at the store buying it and I couldn't see spending $100 or $200 more for another inch of screen. I haven't tried to use this as a output to TV so not sure how that would workout.

Q8offsuit
12-15-2004, 12:29 AM
I have the Panasonic DVD-LS50 (from Circuit City) and absolutely love it. I seriously would not buy anything else. Its screen rotates 180 degrees too, the other way, which is very versatile. The screen is excellent. It is well worth $400. Battery life was better than I expected as well. I also got the car adaptor and case (the adaptor costs upward of $125 on the Panasonic website) free by buying it at Circuit City.

I did a lot of research and this is the one to get. The Polaroids are made in China from inferior parts (see: Mintek brand players. Polaroids are basically Minteks in a different body). Most (if not all) players at about $350 and under seem to be complete crap with lots of consumer complaints.

The Panasonic is the nuts.

fsuplayer
12-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Q8o-

that was the one that looked the best from my research today. thanks for the help and advice!