PDA

View Full Version : Are these laydown's insane?

HammerinHank
12-14-2004, 11:04 AM
$120 rebuy MTT. It's a WPT satellite so all the money and seats go to the top five. It's six handed at the final table. I have 4 BB's left. There is one player with fewer chips. He has 2.5 BB's and is on my right. I picked up 99 and TT on consecutive hands in the cutoff and on the button. It was folded to me. I folded both hands.

Top two get $10,000 seats and cash. Others get smaller seats and cash.

dmk
12-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Since only 1st-2nd get seats, I think you have to push. You shouldn't be worried about placing "out of the money" because you're not aiming for 3rd-5th, you're aiming for the seat. Also keep in mind that players won't want to risk an extra 2-4BBs on mediocre hands just to bust you, because there's a chance they'll then be in your situation. It depends somewhat on the stack sizes of everyone, but since I want 1st/2nd, I'm pushing here. If you're just playing to get your $ back, then fold.

Cohiba Al
12-14-2004, 11:49 AM
You will be the short stack on the table if a) the entire table tightly folds and allows the 2.5BB guy to pick up a round of antes and blinds, or b) heaven forbid he is forced to go all-in and actually wins thus doubling or tripling up. I have seen this many times.

With only 4BB left, and a six-handed table, you will be quickly forced to go all-in with a terrible hand. Take your chance with TT and 99 to increase your distance from the short stacks, even if you are just playing to "make the money". Odds are you will just steal the blinds, and even if you get a call you are most likely ahead.

srw5n
12-14-2004, 12:01 PM
1. What are the values of places 3-5?

If you're talking about $1,000 - $500 - $200 there is obviously a huge incentive to push because really the only spots your looking for a 1-2.

If 3-5 are significantly more valueable (8K, 5K, 3K) there may be a justification to fold these hands.

If the assumption is that 3-5 represent minimal value you have to push...

2. What are the relative chip positions?

If BB, SB are 10BB or under your folding equity goes way up, conversely if everyone behind you has 50BB then you will probably be called by coin toss hands as well as some hands you have dominated.

3. If you're folding 1010 from the button, what sort of a hand are you going to push with for the rest of your chips? You are essentially reducing yourself to hoping the shorter stack eats it in the blinds so you can sneak into 5th..

MrLob
12-16-2004, 03:38 AM
I push. The gaol is to get a seat and you're not going to do it sitting around at this point.