PDA

View Full Version : KQ top-pair on the flop

swolfe
12-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed)
saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> ($570.1)
Hero ($200)
CO ($201.6)
Button ($86.65)
SB ($146)
BB ($200)
UTG ($200)
UTG+1 ($334.1)
MP1 ($454.3)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> calls $4, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($16) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Villain calls $24.

Turn: ($76) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $73</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $175</font>, Hero ???

Villain was solid, 165 hands, VPIP 22, PF 8, AGG 3.5

Also, with only one limper and 2 off the button, would you raise this pre-flop? Why/why not?

How about the play on the flop?

PoBoy321
12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
My guess is A high flush draw. You're probably beat, get out of it.

VanVeen
12-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Hero folds. I put villain on a set of sixes, not a draw, although it's possible. Regardless, there's no way you can profitably call this raise.

soah
12-14-2004, 03:38 PM
That's a very easy fold. I'm not even sure if I like betting that turn card. What are you ahead of here? With 22% VP$IP his most likely flush draw would be to the nuts, which gives him the better hand on the turn. If he called you on the flop with a made hand, you're probably behind. About all that you're ahead of here are hands like KJ and QhJh. While you don't want to give a free card to a draw, you can't try to protect your hand if you don't even know that you actually have the best hand. You don't want to play a big pot here. I would have raised less on the flop, and if I did bet the turn it would have been about 2/3 pot... enough to charge a draw, but not so much as to scare off worse made hands or to make me go broke if I'm behind.

swolfe
12-14-2004, 04:12 PM
I folded, but wasn't sure if it was weak or not, and I think you're right that I played it a little too agressively. I tend to bet the pot every time I bet. Looking back, I think that he probably was on the nut flush draw and threw out the $6 bet as a blocker. When the A came out and he checked it, I fixed it in my mind that he had a K with a weaker kicker.

What would you have raised to on the flop? $16 pot plus his $6 bet and my call would have been $28.

BobboFitos
12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a very easy fold. I'm not even sure if I like betting that turn card. What are you ahead of here? With 22% VP$IP his most likely flush draw would be to the nuts, which gives him the better hand on the turn. If he called you on the flop with a made hand, you're probably behind. About all that you're ahead of here are hands like KJ and QhJh. While you don't want to give a free card to a draw, you can't try to protect your hand if you don't even know that you actually have the best hand. You don't want to play a big pot here. I would have raised less on the flop, and if I did bet the turn it would have been about 2/3 pot... enough to charge a draw, but not so much as to scare off worse made hands or to make me go broke if I'm behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is v good. I would say roughly the same. Check that turn. I probably wouldn't even pay off most rivers.

The flop raise is good. The turn bet suspect. I think he had a stronger hand then nut flush draw pairing ace, because it wouldn't make sense for him to C/R you there, as a very possible holding of yours is AK, and you're not folding in that spot. So I think he has a bigger hand. But that's not important. Easy fold once you've bet.

el_grande
12-14-2004, 07:17 PM
I probably would have bet less on the turn, maybe $40-$50. Would that be wrong?