PDA

View Full Version : pokerstar satelites

07-16-2002, 05:36 AM
I just don't get why so many people have participated in the WCOOP satelites on pokerstars. Why do they want to win a seat in a bigger tournament in stead of just winning cash in regular tournaments that they can spend on whatever they want. In many of the satelites the payout structure has been a joke where only the 1st and 2nd place has been paid. I believe the many posts trying to sell their WCOOP seats supports my point of view.

A good example is the famous MS Sunshine who is willing to sell his $1050 seat for only $950. The seat was probably won in a $60+$5 satelite. When we calculate the reduced value of the seat the tournament was actually a $54.3+$10.7 tournament. That is a fee of almost 20%!. You need to be very good player to beat that fee, and even if you are, you might lose a lot before you start winning, taking the bizarre payout structure in consideration. I look forward to when pokerstars returns to daily tourneys in stead of satelites.

Well, Good luck to MS Sunshine and all others anyway.

07-16-2002, 10:30 AM
The points you raise are fundamentally correct - to turn a profit in satellites where you intend to sell your seat requires you to have a major edge on your competition. My own reasons for playing satellites on this basis are the experience it affords me, the opportunity to play against my WCOOP opponents and study their style, and the fact that stars have stopped running daily tournaments for any meaningful amount, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

Regards,

Richard

07-16-2002, 11:33 AM
My own reasons for playing satellites on this basis are the experience it affords me, the opportunity to play against my WCOOP opponents and study their style

ditto

I had almost no tournament experience before 3 months ago and was not happy with the results, or my play, in the ones I had played.

Knowing my opponent's playing styles, even the basics, is a big thing with me.

As for Hansi's disliking just top two being paid, I agree, because it doesn't make a big enough shift from live strategy to tournament strategy. IMO I treated them as extend one tables with less ring play and more 5-6 handed play.

I didn't think the fields were tough at all and at this point I'm surprised how many weak players have seats, I'm not just referring to the $109 Limit Hold'em either which had over 100 players which I had never heard of, out of 250.

I would never have bought $3,700 worth of seats, my budget for this tournament series was $1000, which I still have, so I feel the satellites are a money maker by themselves even selling them at 90 cents on the dollar and never playing in the target tournament.

Most of my push for selling this seat was so I continue to play sats this week, and I feel raconteur has similar reasons for selling his seats, at this time.

MS Sunshine