PDA

View Full Version : Party $250k Sunday - texture of tourney??

Peter Harris
12-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey all,
I converted a $7 buy in into a $215 entry to this Sunday's Party Quarter Mil. That's pleasant.

However, this will be my first buy in above $30+3. So I was wondering what the texture of the game is; will we see the 80% maniac distribution of lower limits? Lots of first level preflop pushes? Or should i give players more credit?

Any advice on how to play a $200 buyin tourney as opposed to the micro [$5-$30] MTTs would be thoroughly appreciated.

See you on Sunday,
Pete Harris

jg22
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey Pete, I had a similiar experience to yours a few weeks ago when I qualified for the $200k Saturday through the $9+1 MTT qualifier. I usually play the low buy-in tournaments myself. I ended up flopping a full house and having someone push into me with an OESD and then doubled up later with KK to finish 91st for a good payout considering I paid $10 to get in.

My experience is that the tournament is tighter than the usual low buy-in stuff that I play. You wont run into situations where you are holding AK and catch a K on the flop only to be blasted by some idiot who saw the flop with a K6o and catches 2 pair on the turn after calling your huge bet. I was able to bully a few more pots, but beware of getting played back at.. unless you have a monster hand.

I loved the tournament myself, it is much more my style. You will start out with 1500 as opposed to the usual 1000 plus the blinds only go up every 20 minutes which is very nice, for me at least.

Hope this helps! Good luck, maybe Ill see you there... Ive been trying to qualify for that one as well.

Peter Harris
12-15-2004, 07:48 AM
cheers dude.
It's my first biggie, i'll be glad to outlast half the field /images/graemlins/smile.gif

No doubt with more chips and slower blinds i can play it cool.

Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Pete Harris

betgo
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
The early play is tighter. You will not see several limpers or several raise callers as much. There are some maniacs. The postflop play can sometimes get loose.

When about half the players are left it becomes a game with a raise and fold. Sometimes there will be one or two callers or a reraise. You may be able to steal blinds at this stage, particularly with a big stack.

As it gets to about 25% left, the play becomes more aggressive, and there are a higher percentage of tricky aggressive players left. It will tighten up around the bubble for the cash, and then loosen afterwards.

There is a big range in the level of the play. There are a lot of fairly weak players who won there way in through satellites or have the money to blow on this sort of thing. There is also a fairly high percentage of professionals, semiprofessionals, and strong hobbyists. Most of the professionals are ones who just make a living at it. However, there are probably some of the guys you see on TV. No one from the PSI, but players like Raymer, Moneymaker, Fishman, and McEvoy might play in something like this.