PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 06:14 AM
I watched it tonight and I have mixed feelings about it. Certainly original and interesting. Although I was somewhat left thinking that the best parts, The Darko family, and Donnie's relationships at school were distracted by the time travel aspects. Reminded me a lot of a twilight zone episode which I like.

The characters were superbly done.

Anways like I said I am unsure how I feel about it. I know some really like it and others hate it. So make your best case as to why it works or why it sucks.

TazQ
12-14-2004, 06:41 AM
http://www.tangent-universe.org/dump/time_travel.html

PoBoy321
12-14-2004, 07:07 AM
I watched this movie a while ago. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it. I guess he was schizophrenic? Maybe this was all a life-flashing-before-my-eyes type thing, I wasn't sure. All in all I thought it was a cool movie though, it made for some interesting night time tv.

wonderwes
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
I enjoyed this movie. When you watch it on a premium sound system you can get into the full effect of the movie.

I think of the things I liked about this movie, it was that it had a quality ending.

dr. klopek
12-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Donnie Darko is the pure nuts. This kid, lives for a week after he should have died in a freak accident so that he can discover time travel to go back in time to when he should have died. He actually lives in a parallel universe for a while. During this time, a giant bunny from the future tells him to do all this crazy [censored]. This movie is well written, has excellent characters, is original as hell, and is gratuitously funny. The pure nuts.

jakethebake
12-14-2004, 09:44 AM
It was o.k. but I don't see how anyone can seriously make the case that this was some great movie. It was just o.k.

Alobar
12-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I think its one of those movies that for some reason people like to act like it was the greatest movie ever, because they think it will make them sound cool. Its prolly because its a strange movie and not alot of people have seen it, so if you are with a group of people and talking about movies and someone mentions donnie darko, you can be all like "yeah that movie is the [censored]!!" and only like one or two people have seen it, so you seem all cool because you like this weird movie.

The story line is also kind of weak, but the movie is strange enough that you can watch it and then be like "huh?" so if you act like its the greatest movie ever, it makes it seem like there is some sort of deeper meaning to the movie that you get. People will agree with you that it's so good because they feel if they don't it means they are somehow dumb or "uncool" because they don't get the deeper meaning (that totally isn't there). Its kind of like an emperors new clothes sort of thing.

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was o.k. but I don't see how anyone can seriously make the case that this was some great movie. It was just o.k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that pretty much sums up what I think. It was good but no where near great.

I watched the deleted scenes with director commentary which if included would have made the movie better.

My biggest problem was there was not enough clarity as to why Darko's living and then dying would save the world.

daryn
12-14-2004, 05:56 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I think its one of those movies that for some reason people like to act like it was the greatest movie ever, because they think it will make them sound cool. Its prolly because its a strange movie and not alot of people have seen it, so if you are with a group of people and talking about movies and someone mentions donnie darko, you can be all like "yeah that movie is the [censored]!!" and only like one or two people have seen it, so you seem all cool because you like this weird movie.

The story line is also kind of weak, but the movie is strange enough that you can watch it and then be like "huh?" so if you act like its the greatest movie ever, it makes it seem like there is some sort of deeper meaning to the movie that you get. People will agree with you that it's so good because they feel if they don't it means they are somehow dumb or "uncool" because they don't get the deeper meaning (that totally isn't there). Its kind of like an emperors new clothes sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

wonderwes
12-14-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My biggest problem was there was not enough clarity as to why Darko's living and then dying would save the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

The realization of the only way he could save his girlfriend. The final scenes I think make the total movie come together. All the events are correct with the plot yet they dont even have much dialog to explain it. I think the real reason I enjoyed this movie, because I thought it was quality movie with a good plot and not some poorly written, badly acted hollywood movie, with most of the crap that comes out in theaters. Blade Trinity? Are you kidding?

I need to buy the director's cut of DD. It is not due out till feb 15th.

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think the real reason I enjoyed this movie, because I thought it was quality movie with a good plot and not some poorly written, badly acted hollywood movie, with most of the crap that comes out in theaters. Blade Trinity? Are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

This I agree with. It's original and not mindless which is worth something.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep it though.

Fluffington
12-14-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't think the film is very original at all. American independent films with young, troubled but gifted men in a suburban environment (as seen in Rushmore, The Ice Storm, American Beauty etc) are just as formulaic (sp?) as most big budget action films, they just happen to have a smaller, older, more educated target audience and thus get more respect.

dr. klopek
12-14-2004, 06:59 PM
I'll just let you realize that you somehow compared this movie to rushmore as if they were interchangable. I won't say a thing.

Ulysses
12-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years. I loved it.

dr. klopek
12-15-2004, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

[/ QUOTE ]

You're that guy who's one step ahead of the hipsters. You say that it sucks because you think people will say they like it to be cool. Thus, you must be cooler than them right?

blackaces13
12-15-2004, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post. This is basically how I feel about 99% of all the music that every 20 something in NYC claims is "real music".

This post really nails down how I feel about a lot of pretentious (and even not so pretentious) people and their opinions on various art forms. Thanks for writing it.

thatpfunk
12-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Rushmore is much better than Donnie Darko. It is orignal without the pretentiousness.

Donnie Darko seems like a movie people talk about how "creative" and "orignal" it is to make themselves feel intelligent. He's schizophrenic. So what?

blackaces13
12-15-2004, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're that guy who's one step ahead of the hipsters. You say that it sucks because you think people will say they like it to be cool. Thus, you must be cooler than them right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting theory. I know this wasn't directed at me but for some reason I want to reply anyway. In my case I don't think it applies because I don't go around saying that a lot of stuff sucks to appear "cooler" than anybody else.

I have a problem with a) people saying that everything that reaches a certain amount of mainsteam popularity sucks or b) that some unknown garbage with a bit of an underground buzz about it is automatically great ESPECIALLY as Alobar's post said, when its brought up and only a select few of the people around can identify with it and of course, they all LOVE it and thereby are filled with an implied sense of superiority and must be more knowledgable than anyone else around.

I'm not cool at all, I think Eminem is a good rapper, I don't like rap, I like Linkin Park, I still buy Green Day CD's. I'm certainly not trying to one-up the hipsters in an effort to be "cooler" than them, believe me I don't care. I just can't help but roll my eyes when a guy at a college bar says he's into Jackson Pollack or something and then 1 or 2 Art Majors will perk up and all 3 of them clearly now think that they are the most brilliant, insightful, fascinating, etc people in the room. Know what I mean?

dr. klopek
12-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Yes, I do actually. I know exactly what you mean. This is something that bugs me as well. But, Sadly enough for me, I don't really pick what I like. Certain [censored] just appeals to me. I'm not trying to be cool. I made a post about how much I love the O.C. I could tell you a million reasons why Bob Marley is a genius. I don't think I'd be considered "elite" or "cool" for either. We were talking about a movie, a movie I genuinely like and think is good. I don't consider myself smarter than anyone. I think that this movie is good on many levels, it meets my criteria for being a good movie, so I said so. I dislike elitism very much, but if your beef with this movie is that a bunch of hipsters think they're cool for liking it, your opinion about it is based on something as arbitrary and self-involved as theirs.

BTW, I've done that, talked to someone about art while in the presence of people that don't know much about it. I just happened to get onto the subject, that's all. No malicious intent, no ego-boosting session, just talking to someone about something that interests me. I think you might be a little sensitive. oh, and btw, Pollock sucks ass.

BusterStacks
12-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Dude you like the OC? Wtf...

blackaces13
12-15-2004, 05:14 AM
Doc,

I actually wasn't replying to anything written about Donny Darko per se, only the parts about how people act when they've seen/heard something that not a lot of people have and they proceed to sing its praises clearly filled with tremendous self-satisfaction due to how incredibly AWESOME they obviously all are.

FWIW I'm sort of undecided about DD, it was an interesting movie but I think I didn't "get" whatever it was that made some people really like the movie. I wouldn't say it sucks nor would I think people were being pretentious/elitist for thinking that they thought it was great.

I was taking what Alobar said and relating it to things other than DD that I've seen people act exactly as he described about. He just put it more succinctly than I ever could and happened to be talking about DD in this instance, thats all.

brassnuts
12-15-2004, 05:59 AM
Why don't you go suck a [censored]?

Best parts of the movie were definitely due to good dialogue, not the lame non-existant "deeper meaning" to the flick.

Homer
12-15-2004, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This post rules. That being said, I actually liked the movie. But don't worry, I have no friends, so it's not for the reasons you suggest.

eurythmech
12-15-2004, 07:51 AM
I think itīs a brilliant flick - 4/5.
And the fact that they play Joy Division in a love scene does not make it worse.

daryn
12-15-2004, 10:08 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) yes i am one step ahead of the hipsters,

2) i just like to speak the truth

Paluka
12-15-2004, 11:14 AM
This whole thread is pretty dumb and Brocktoon's posts are probably the worst. Yes there are people who say they like movies like Donnie Darko to be cool and smart. But for everyone 2 of them there is one guy who acts like he is cool because he doesn't like DD. And then there is another guy who just hates smart people in general and vote for George Bush and thinks The Rock was a great movie and he really thinks people who like Donnie Darko are hippy/commie/queers. Brocktoon is apparently disgusted with people opinions on music, as if music was something beyond personal taste. Linkin Park sucks, Brocktoon.
Donnie Darko is a cool, interesting movie that is not nearly as good as Mr. Socoolandsmart thinks it is but is much better than Mr. Screwyouintellectualqueer gives it credit for.

blackaces13
12-15-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Brocktoon is apparently disgusted with people opinions on music, as if music was something beyond personal taste. Linkin Park sucks, Brocktoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

These 2 sentences written by the same person. One after the other no less.

spamuell
12-15-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're the guy who's one stop ahead of those guys who are one step ahead of the hipsters. You say they suck because you think people will act like they do to be cool. Thus, you must be cooler than them right?

We can do this for a long time or we could just say what we like and what we don't like and try not to be influenced by what's considered cool, although sometimes I find that hard.

BonJoviJones
12-15-2004, 10:22 PM
If I discovered time-travel the _last_ thing I would do is use it to kill myself.

I'd do about the same things again, but after I nail the girl I'd do a keg stand at the party instead of shooting that kid.