PDA

View Full Version : Getting past the final 18

imtight
12-14-2004, 05:08 AM
Hi all,

This was a Stars 10+1 tournament and we've made it to the final 18. The next pay increase is minimal so I'm really just looking to make it to the final table with a decent stack. Blinds are 1500/3000 with an ante of 175 and I have roughly 8 BB. It's folded to me in the SB and I find myself with A7o. BB has about 3 times my stack. I haven't seen him play many hands as he was just moved to my table. Is this a situation where I need to push and pray for the best? I can't see myself min raising or raising 3x BB here as I'm priced into calling the rest of my chips.

Cheers,
Matt

RikJms
12-14-2004, 05:11 AM
Im a pretty aggresive player, so if I thought it had a good chance of taking the pot I would do it. But folding isn't a bad option either, as you will inherit the dealer button, and get several looks at hands before your next blind.

housenuts
12-14-2004, 05:20 AM
you can fold this. the difference between 10x BB and 8x BB is minimal. if you get called you will likely only have 3 outs. ie. you'll be called by a bigger ace, or a PP bigger than your 7.

kuro
12-14-2004, 05:36 AM
Push or fold. Either play is ok. I'd probably push. Your stack is large enough that you can still hurt him if he calls so you have some folding equity. Picking up the blinds here gives you time to catch a better hand to double or tripple up on.

JaBlue
12-14-2004, 06:08 AM
Easy push. You need to make something happen to get to the final table, and you won't get much better spots than this. You're right - A7 isn't exactly a great hand... but its a big favorite to a one random hand. I'd push in a heartbeat here.

jimymat
12-14-2004, 06:30 AM
eithr way, doesnt matter. id wait for better hand. your suppose to avoid all close confrontations this late in a tourney. survive and thrive.

TStoneMBD
12-14-2004, 07:50 AM
imo, folding this is simply ridiculous.

PoBoy321
12-14-2004, 07:57 AM
I disagree. This late in a tourney, you've gotta go big or go home. I say a push here is 100% the right move. Against any random hand you're probably a considerable favorite, and you're most likely going to get a fold and inherit the blinds and antes. Even if you do get called by a bigger ace or a PP higher than 7, it sucks but you're not drawing dead, just slim. I say push, get him to fold his 93o and move on.

Jim T
12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Easy push.