PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from seeing the Pixies in NYC

bdk3clash
12-14-2004, 03:37 AM
What a show! Mission of Burma opened, which was cool because I like their old stuff and their new album is pretty good. (Their most famous song is "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" which Moby covered on some album.) Anyway, they were pretty good although the mix kind of sucked.

Pixies came on around 9:15 and played an absolutely amazing set. I think it's great that they can finally get the recognition they deserve, because they were playing the kind of post-punk/"alternative" music that just wasn't very commercially viable until after they broke up.

Frank Black (err, Black Francis), who was never particularly svelte, has definitely packed on the lbs. but still sounds great. I never realized which guitar parts from their songs he did and which Joey Santiago did, so that was cool to see. Kim Deal was great too, and Dave Lovering is an amazing drummer.

They pretty much played the most amazing set of Pixies songs ever--off the top of my head: Debaser, Nimrod's Son, Isla de Encanta, Bone Machine, Here Comes Your Man, Gouge Away, Monkey Gone To Heaven, Caribou, UMass, Wave of Mutilation (two versions!), and for the most amazing encore ever Where Is My Mind? and Gigantic.

Anyway, an amazing show. My ears will be ringing for days, but man was I happy to have had the opportunity to see them.

Tron
12-14-2004, 04:11 AM
Sounds awesome. How about Alec Eiffel? That's one of my favorite Pixies songs.

Evan
12-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Where did they play?

bdk3clash
12-14-2004, 04:20 AM
They didn't play much late Pixies stuff, I think because the band was already breaking up at that point and the last Pixies album was almost a Frank Black solo album.

bdk3clash
12-14-2004, 04:20 AM
Hammerstein Ballroom.

Evan
12-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Awesome, I love that place.

TylerD
12-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Sounds amazing.

Rushmore
12-14-2004, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They pretty much played the most amazing set of Pixies songs ever--off the top of my head: Debaser, Nimrod's Son, Isla de Encanta, Bone Machine, Here Comes Your Man, Gouge Away, Monkey Gone To Heaven, Caribou, UMass, Wave of Mutilation (two versions!), and for the most amazing encore ever Where Is My Mind? and Gigantic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. I could not imagine a more perfect set of Pixies stuff.

I'm sure the crowd would have had be projectile vomiting, but it might have been worth it.

Paluka
12-14-2004, 09:12 AM
I saw them on Saturday and I think I'm going again tonight. Great show.

bdk3clash
12-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Who was the opening band Saturday night?

My friends and I were speculating that that would be the night with the most celebrities in attendance--did you spot any?

By the way, limited edition live CDs of the various shows are for sale on PixiesDiscs.com (http://www.pixiesdiscs.com). I might get the one from the night I was there.

Also, while I'm at it, the Pixies are going to be on Letterman tonight.

Sheriff Fatman
12-14-2004, 10:31 AM
I still can't believe I still feel envious at reading posts such as this. Apparently going to 4 UK shows in the summer plus buying all 4 sets of double CD's isn't enough for me!

Glad you enjoyed it. Wish I was there too!

Sheriff

IndieMatty
12-14-2004, 12:08 PM
I saw them @ Coachella, and when they closed with Where's My Mind, in front 50,000 it was one of the most surreal moments of my life. Glad they were good, I'm going to Broken Social Scene tomorrow. Not Pixies status, but I am pretty pumped to see them.