PDA

View Full Version : Am I lame for liking the Steelers now?

jdl22
12-14-2004, 03:04 AM
I'm from Oregon but studying in grad school in Pittsburgh now, currently in my second year. I basically want to make sure that I don't turn out like nonconformist who, like me, is from Oregon and (unlike me) supports the Yankees and the Lakers so I thought I'd ask you the good people of the OOT forum if I am a lame ass fair weather fan for supporting the Steelers this year given that they are kicking ass.

Here's a bit of background:
I grew up in Oregon where there is no pro team except the Blazers. I like them in basketball and the San Francisco teams in football and baseball. This basically came about because my mother is from the bay area and her and my grandparents are die hard 49er and especially Giants fans. I have been a duck fan more than anything else, going to Oregon football games since I was about 3 years old until I left for grad school (sniff, sniff). The problem came when the San Francisco 49ers hired as the biggest piece of sh!t coach they possibly could have, Dennis Erickson who on top of being the Oregon State coach is a total prick and quite sleazy as well. Once they hired him I decided I would simply have to wait until he got fired to follow my beloved 49ers again. I actually hope they lose as many games as possible so that this will come about as quickly as possible.

Last year I came out to Pittsburgh. I'd always liked watching the Steelers because of their gritty, tough nature and pounding style of play (that is the style they have this year and had up until 3 seasons ago). Also, one of my favorite players is Troy Polamalu who grew up in a small town about 15 miles from where I did. Having said that I wasn't too into it last year and this year I have been really into watching the Steelers and actually find myself getting emotionally invested in the games which I never thought would happen.

Last year they sucked and this year they are awesome so does that make me a bad person?

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I lame for liking the Steelers now?

[/ QUOTE ] yep, big time.

jdl22
12-14-2004, 03:08 AM
Damn I had put you on the fourth option. I need to get better at my reads.

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 03:08 AM
I can't believe you are dropping the Niners, weak man, very weak. Of course they are my favorite football team. These hard times are short term.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn I had put you on the fourth option. I need to get better at my reads.

[/ QUOTE ]truthfully, I am probably more a #2, I just felt like making fun of you. IMO, it depends on how much you like the Steelers. You can have fun with it, especially since you live there, but don't act like you love them, or that you have constantly liked them.

jdl22
12-14-2004, 03:10 AM
Like I said I will be back as soon as they fire Erickson, hopefully that's this winter.

Non_Comformist
12-14-2004, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Like I said I will be back as soon as they fire Erickson, hopefully that's this winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically when they might be good again. No, that's not lame at all. ehhh what else from another lame Duck. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

IggyWH
12-14-2004, 04:31 AM
It's lame but there's plenty of room on our bandwagon so jump on in and enjoy the ride!

daryn
12-14-2004, 04:49 AM
maybe you are lame. maybe not. i would go with lame, but it doesn't matter. my advice to you is: jump off the bandwagon as fast as you can. the steelers will lose to the new england patriots in the afc championship game IF they make it that far.

Lazymeatball
12-14-2004, 10:27 AM
You're allowed and AFC team and an NFC team. Will you like Pittsburgh 5 years from now when you've graduated and they suck?

WDC
12-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Where is the "I was lame for not liking the Steelers all my life, but now I am cured."