PDA

View Full Version : PL HE final table hand

07-13-2002, 06:11 PM
We are down to 6 players, 9 players get paid. I have the smallest stack (~55k), A and B are chipleader (both ~150k each). Other 3 players have between 80 and 100k. Blinds are 2-4k.

A is super loose-aggressive, B loose-passive. Both havenīt yet folded to a raise when they were in the blind on the last 2 tables (!). In the keyhand is another player involved: C. He playes poker for about 4 months. Heīs a nice guy, but a bad player. Still, he told me that he managed to make his 2nd final table in a row, and last time he got eliminated 4th. Right after he left the other players made a deal. He told me disapointed that he wasnīt involved in the deal and that this time his goal was to be able to make a deal.

So here is the hand. UTG folds, C calls, I decide to call with 99, button calls, A (SB) calls and B (BB) checks. Pot is 20k

Flop: J54 rainbow. All check to me, I check, button checks.

Turn: J54 J, no flush possible.

A bets pot (20k), B folds, C hesitates and after a while calls. I think about it for a while. I donīt give A credit for toppair since he wouldnīt have checked. He would have raised any pair preflop, so a full house is out of discussion. I put him on a pair of fives or a gut shut draw. My big problem is C. He wants to survive (to make a deal), so he might have checked even toppair on the flop. But would he just smoothcall with trips on the turn? After about a minute I put him most likely on TT-66, giving me the best hand in most times. I move in. Botton folds, A calls, C thinks about it again and then calls.

River: J54 J T.

A checks, C bets all in, A mucks and without looking at the hand from C I know that Iīm history. He shows JTs!.

I consider this to be a pretty interesting hand since I had lots of different possibilities to play the hand. First preflop. Should I raise with 99 knowing that at least 1 blind will call me 90% of the time and both blinds 50%? (I thought that C would muck pretty easily, since he was on survival mode).

The flop was a nobrainer, but what about the turn? Should I muck? I donīt think so. I knew I had A probably dead to 2 or 5 outs (depending on his kicker) and I thought I had a good idea of Cs hand. Of course I was wrong, but you canīt be 100% for sure what the other guy has. If Iīm right Iīm in good position to take home a monsterpot and become favorite to win the whole thing. But of course calling was a possibility too. It would have saved me with a small, but still playable stack (I would have had an easy fold on the river, despite of the size of the pot).

Any comments appreciated.

Regards

Martin

07-13-2002, 06:43 PM
If C is really in survival mode is he calling if he can't beat trip Jacks?

07-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Against the hyper aggressive play of A: Yes, itīs possible. And he doesnīt think far enough to put the players behind him into consideration.

07-15-2002, 12:02 PM
true but if he is really pkaying for survival than he has to realize that a call on the turn likely means a call on the river. Personally I would have given him a "weakish" Jack. He knows he cant fold, but he really does not want to get outkicked out of the event.

I think if Just A had bet you could move in on the turn. Once A bets and C calls, you have to muck.

Although you could have raised preflop (and I probably would have), I dont think it is much of a mistake to call and see the flop. I just think on the turn you may as well save your chips.