PDA

View Full Version : Wondering how to start

Buccaneer
12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Really nice FAQ. Answered most of my questions so I don't have to ask them here. Here is the easiest one. What is SSHE? Looks like it may be a book that I need to get ahold of. Can you tell me where?

Next question is more involved. I went to party and played the play money games. I lost every time! I wondered what the heck was going wrong other than I was new to the game. I identified some things I wanted to work on. First I thought the game was boring. I solved that. I wondered why I lost my money (play) so quickly. I realized that I wanted excitement and was being careless. I corrected that. I learned to fold and watch the players. I didn't like party or the graphics so I found another site and still lost. But one day I started to win. I thought a while and realized that I knew when some players would fold or bet. I picked up on timing thier bets, I adjusted my bet timing (when the first hurry come in I slow way down). I am now at the point that I have kept my bank roll for some time now and it is growing. I have assigned a value to my roll, whether that is good or bad I hope someone comments. I try to control my emotions and when I can not I quit for the day. So basicaly I am at the point a golfer gets when he has played a few rounds - "if I get the right equipment and practiced alot I could be good at this game" I do not kid myself but I think I may have enough good points and be coachable enough to become good enough that I make a few bucks. So where do you suggest that I go to learn other than here. Books, programs, basic play, betting and such.

I enjoy limit but have played no limit.

I know there is no such thing as luck but that you do have runs of occurences you could possibly think was luck.

I like games with 3 - 5 players and I do better in them. I think I do not fold enough when the table is large.

I know that previous occurances if they are independent of the next occurance have no effect on the outcomes.

People are creatures of habit and most are lazy.

Live poker would be very difficult for me because I telegraph my feelings.

Are the play money games where to learn or not. I tend to steer clear of games that have drop ins who pick up a new roll loose it and get another roll with no value to them.

Well that is about it. I would love to here your comments. Especially if you think I should find a new hobby.

lorinda
12-14-2004, 02:50 AM
You should start in the beginners and micro limit forums here, as well as keeping an eye on this one.

Luck plays and enormous role in limit holdem in the short term, the short term being 100 hours or more /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Keep the bankroll to 300 big bets before you consider moving up a limit. If you are a winning player (Which sounds unlikely right now, although you appear to have enough understanding to become one) then this is the accepted safe bankroll!

Have a read of some hands that are posted in the micro limit forum, and post some of your own.
I don't see anything wrong with posting play money hands as long as you are taking them seriously, just be sure to say as much in your posts.

I try to control my emotions and when I can not I quit for the day

A great start. Many people get frustrated at not being able to control their emotions and continue playing to prove that they can.
Quitting when failing to control them is a good move.

I think I do not fold enough when the table is large.

Most new players think they fold too much and are still not folding enough. Without knowing anything about you, I can comfortably tell you that you need to fold more /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SSHE is small stakes hold 'em. Have a look through the books/software forum and see what they say about it in there.
There are many books to choose from, look for a few in that forum and see which appears to be the best (Unless some kind souls could respond in here)

Especially if you think I should find a new hobby.

Seems to me that you are more than capable of learning to beat this game, but keep it very very cheap (or free) for now while you get a feeling for it, treat the beating of the game as the hobby for starters, and not the winning of huge sums, the cheaper you get your lessons at the tables, the better it is /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lori