PDA

View Full Version : Pro Sit and Go player?

livinitup0
12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
New to the site first posting.
i have seen numerous articles and postings on here about professional limit players playing online, and i am wondering if anyone has heard about someone doing the same with single table tournaments. I know I can play up to 200.00 entry single table at party poker. losing 200.00 in an hour seems easy to do at 10-20 limit, but how many times can you make 40 big bets an hour compared to the number of times getting first in a sit and go. i seem to do much better at the single tables tourneys. Does anyone else prefer the sit and go's to the standard B&M games? And do you think its possible to make just as much money doing so?

Elektrik
12-14-2004, 06:06 AM
For those of you that are nit picky out there, yes my numbers aren't on the spot as to what a good player can do - this is meant for generalization.

As with any form of poker, there's a certain level that a very good player can make. For simplification, let's say you pull in a 20% ROI 8 tabling the 200+15's. If we said every tourney takes one hour, we're looking at $344 per hour.

A very good player 8 tabling 15/30 could be making 3BB/100. Assuming 50 hands per hour, that's $360 an hour.

So assuming these rates, it would be possible to professionally play either the SNG's or Limit for comparable rates.

People generally play whichever they find more enjoyable (generally it's NL at tourneys, or Limit Cash games, although of course you could do the oppostie in either) and also whichever game they are better at, and can make a greater profit per hour.

It is also interesting to note that due to decreased variance compared to limit cash games, NL tourneys require a much smaller bankroll (300 BB = $9,000 for 15/30 but 25 Buy ins = $5375 @ $215). So as a starting player, bankroll wise and assuming you have more skill than your opponents (which many players often falsely do), it would make sense to play tourneys to increase your bankroll with decreased variance.

Myst
12-14-2004, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is also interesting to note that due to decreased variance compared to limit cash games, NL tourneys require a much smaller bankroll (300 BB = $9,000 for 15/30 but 25 Buy ins = $5375 @ $215).

Tell that to all those who have lost 20+ buyins at one point or another in their SNG career.... (Believe me, all of them have).

ALL games of poker require appropriate bankrolls.

Elektrik
12-14-2004, 06:28 AM
I completely agree.

Runs of 20+, even 30+ buy ins are certainly more than possible over the long run. We've had some respected Mid-High Limit posters go on over 400BB downswings in 15/30. I am not saying that either of these are appropriate or "safe" bankrolls for these games.

My point was that comparatively there is much less variance for the same win rate (assuming you play eqaully well in both) in NL tourneys vs Limit cash games.

lacky
12-14-2004, 07:57 AM
I don't have any lofty examples, but I have played full time for the last 1.5 years. I can make somewhat more playing 3/6 or 5/10 6max, but it is very boring after a while. When I burn out on limit, I have a hard time getting in the hours. Who wan't to do something that's boring to them 30 or 40 hours a week? So, then I play $55 NL sng's for a while. I make about 20% less, but they are fun so I work more hours, so It works out about the same. The main reason I play limit sometimes is I have an infent, and it's much easier to play limit when I'm watching her cause I can get off the tables If I need too.

Steve