PDA

View Full Version : A9s... flush draw... how would you play this?

GlemZurg
12-14-2004, 01:16 AM
How would you play this?

UTG+1 was new to the table and I didn't have a read on him.

MP1 was loose passive (VP$IP ~50% with less then 5% pfr, post flop aggression around 1)

Any advice on how to improve the hand or my thought process is appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: GlemZurg is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, GlemZurg checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg bets</font>, ...

<font color="green">Betting for value with the nut flush draw.</font>

... <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, GlemZurg calls.

<font color="green">I now think I should have raised again here for value--especially with 3 callers.</font>

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
GlemZurg checks, ...

<font color="green">Feared UTG+1 had set or two-pair improve to a full house so I check.</font>

... UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (7.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
GlemZurg checks, ...

<font color="green">I check hoping to see a cheap showdown.</font>

... UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, GlemZurg calls, ...

<font color="green">For the size of the pot (10 big bets), I figure it's worth a call just in case.</font>

... <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, GlemZurg calls.

<font color="green">Ouch. I'm thinking now that I shouldn't have made this last call. A worse pair than mine would have just called to see the showdown.

What do you all think? Will I have the best hand 7% of the time in this case?</font>

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-14-2004, 01:22 AM
3-bet the flop. Fold to UTG+1's river checkraise, he can beat top pair/9 kicker.

mtdoak
12-14-2004, 02:15 AM
You look fine on most streets. Might consider a 3 bet on the flop, you have 2 overs, 9 outs for the flush, and a backdoor straight draw. 11 outs total. The check raise on the river scares the crap out of me. My thoughts are now that he filled up. You are right on the border of an overcall here, two pair with a weak kicker. You know you are up against at least one other ace and a possible trips/full house.

Harv72b
12-14-2004, 02:29 AM
It's funny that you ask that last question, because until I saw the river c/r I was thinking you should have raised preflop. With 4 limpers ahead of you, A9s is going to be the best hand a pretty fair amount of the time, unless you're up against a bunch of very passive players.

On to how you played the hand....3betting the flop is definitely okay, but I don't think your bet/call is very bad in its own right. Bet/call could very easily have been interpreted by your opponents as top pair medium/no kicker, which could in turn have forced some folds if you'd bet out the turn. Speaking of...

Bet out the turn. Any time the BB bets out on a low flop like this, people are going to assume top pair. Use that when the top card pairs on the turn like this. It's all well and good to hope for your flush draw to come around, but on most hands a turn bet here will also buy you the outs to your ace, if someone else had you outkicked.

The river check/raise immediately makes me think UTG+1 did hit a set on the flop, and has been slowplaying since he picked up the FH on the turn. However, I do still call for one more bet as you did...there's a fair chance he's on A5 or A3s, and doesn't realize that the paired 7s invalidate his kicker pairing. Again, with nobody raising preflop, I'm not ready to assume that you're outkicked if it comes down to top pair.