PDA

View Full Version : The power of 2+2

Chief911
12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
So I'm sitting at table 3 of the Super Monday, and checkin the boards. I get a PM from someone, saying "I just checked by your table. Only guy I have notes on is player xxxxxxx, my notes say he has limp-raised with AA three times"

Cue forward about 2 hours. He plays VERY few hands. He limps UTG with blinds 100/200. I have JJ. Easiest fold EVER. An unfortunate soul behind me reraises allin, and is instantly called. Player xxxxxxx has..AA.

Thanks Woodguy!

Nick

shakingspear
12-14-2004, 12:41 AM
That's rad. I hope I get known well enough to catch some tips.

woodguy
12-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Glad to help Nick.

Regards,
Woodguy

scott8
12-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Excuse my question if it shows my ignorance, but can you explain how you don't limp here? I mean my thinking is that he isnt going to have AA every time.
Thanks, Scott

Chief911
12-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Simple. He had hardly played a hand the whole time. That combined with the info made it an easy fold. What if I dont hit my 2 outer. I'm behind. And if I hit my J, but there is also a A, K, and possibly even Q on the board? I'd fold every time with oberving his play and the info from a trusted source.

Nick

scott8
12-14-2004, 01:18 AM
I have so much to learn. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

morgan180
12-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Nick,

In tournament play do you normally play your TT-JJ hands for set value early (in the tournament AND position) or do you raise to push weak overcarsd out of the hand (which the blinds might check/call with?)

Early I alternate between a limp (trying to get in cheap and then play off a non-overcard flop or hit a set) -OR- a raise to knock out some weaker holdings (low pp & weak high cards) that could hurt me.

Of course JJ is one of those hands that almost makes me puke to a reraise.

Interested in your thoughts.

Boris
12-14-2004, 01:44 AM
If both of you guys have decent chips then I would limp behind with tons of hands. This seems like an ideal spot to bust him.

Jason Strasser
12-14-2004, 01:44 AM
If you know this person loves to limp RR with AA UTG, you should be limping behind with a hand like JJ, 22, and maybe even stuff like 56s depending on stack sizes.

My normal play with JJ vs a solid UTG limp is to limp behind... Coupled with the fact that opponent loves to limp rr with AA, I think raising is a crime preflop.

-Jason

TStoneMBD
12-14-2004, 01:45 AM
id at least limp here, as long as you have enough chips to try and flop a set. he could easily be the type of player who will go broke for his stack on AA, and he might not even have that hand afterall. if the flop comes 832 and he bets you can fold, or if he checks you can underbet and fold to a raise.

zaxx19
12-14-2004, 02:17 AM
I love too play for sets but it really depends on how big his stack is, how many people are behind nice here, and how prone they are to reraising.

SossMan
12-14-2004, 02:40 AM
easiest limp ever, you mean, right?

did you have a feeling it was going to be repopped behind you?

-

sdplayerb
12-14-2004, 03:44 AM
that was my first thought too.
i gather they didn't both have enough chips to make it worthwhile. but i guess you really only need around 1600 in this instance.

housenuts
12-14-2004, 05:53 AM
think of your implied odds. you get his whole stack if you flop a set. you know he has AA, you limp behind. as long as that bastard behind you doesn't re-raise then you're golden. i can't imagine losing the T200 would have hurt you that bad.

jimymat
12-14-2004, 06:55 AM
I played with you the other night on PS. Recognized the evil kitty. It would be nice to identify other 2+2ers why were at the tables. I guess if you post here long enough you get to know some people. That info you got about the AA is awesome though. I got tons of notes on PS .50-1 up to 5-10 NL only. I wouldnt mind releasing the top secret information in exchange for the same. Somebody talked about the ethics behind this a while back but I dont have any hang ups. We got the same thing at Harrahs in KC with a few guys. Were always sharing opponents info with each other. ( style of play etc..)
I would not be opposed to putting my PS screenname on a 2+2 list and helping people out. If anything it would be nice to know who I was playing with. Could stay out of each others stacks. Just thoughts.

Tosh
12-14-2004, 07:54 AM
You don't mention the stack sizes, of course that is key to whether it was a fold or not.

Chief911
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Heh. This was not intended to be a strategy post. But I guess it turned out to be.

I had probably around 12xBB. There were several people behind me that liked to snap off limpers, and pots RARELY made it around with just limpers (Heck, I did my share of snapping off limpers).

While I agree that implied odds of being able to take his whole stack if I hit a J is fine and dandy, I did not analyze that party of the equation. And I fully expected a reraise in front of me. In the future migth this be a decent limp spot almost knowing for sure what he has? Maybe.

Tosh
12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Well if we both had 12BB and I was confident he had AA and the majority of pots were raised, I'd fold too. While the fold was ok here I do think you got a little caught up in it, at least by the sounds of it. In that your thinking skipped a few steps.

Prime Time
12-14-2004, 11:26 AM
A few nights ago, I signed up for a $50 sng.
Saw your name on it and withdrew.
Figured that was a pos EV play for the both of us.
I would say you owe me.

sdplayerb
12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
isn't that pretty much what i said?
i said you only need around 7x to make it worthwhile.

davidross
12-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Is this in any way unethical?

IS it common in live tournaeys for a friend to go tell a friend how one of his opponents likes to play?

SossMan
12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this in any way unethical?

IS it common in live tournaeys for a friend to go tell a friend how one of his opponents likes to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

very common