PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Hand in NL

07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
I want to get opinions on the toughest hand to play in No Limit Hold Em....in my experience it has to be Jacks or tens...Both hands are deceptively strong, but in reality when your called or reraised you normally a slight favorite (AK, AQ), or a complete underdog...If you raised Jacks or tens from the front and get reraised, most of the time you have to dump those hands (Unless your pot commited).... My play is usually limp in from the front (Hoping not to have someone put a large re-raise behind me) and play cautiously after the flop, and play them aggressively from the back, most of the time trying to win the pot preflop..

What's your opinion? Maybe I should save myself the aggrevation and dump those hands preflop /images/smile.gif

Thanks

07-11-2002, 05:00 PM
In early position I agree completely with a conservative approach. With good position I want to narrow the field to heads up pre-flop if possible. I don't much care for the destruction they can cause to your stack either and would just as soon win the pot uncontested pre-flop and play another hand!

Jimbo

07-11-2002, 05:01 PM
These are great hands if the money is very deep or very shallow. It is only when a standard raise uses about 10-20% of your chips that they're really tough.

I wouldn't play them too cautiously postflop, or you'll find yourself losing to the turn card too often. Now, I don't mean play them as if they're the nuts, but make sure you know where you're at before you go out giving free cards.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

07-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Standard opinion (although maybe not statistically correct) is that AQ is a brutal killer

Doyle Brunson says he's lost more money off of AQ then any other hand.

RB

07-13-2002, 02:03 PM
At the levels that Doyle plays, I'm sure that's true. However, I've found that some people love to go all-in with A-rag in NL tournaments I play in, so AQ is often a good play.