PDA

View Full Version : Omaha-8 tourney hand

07-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Playing in a Omaha-8 tourney a few weeks back. We are down to 2 tables. Money is paid at 1 table.

Blinds are 700-1500 with an ante of 100. I have roughly 20000 after just tripling up but I am still average.

I am in the BB with KsQs7d2c. 5 players see the flop.

Flop is AsJsTd.

I have flopped a straight and royal draw. I bet out and get 2 callers. One caller has a very big stack. Other caller stack is similar to mine.

Turn is Ac.

What is my best plan of action on the turn? Do I bet out and fold to a raise? Check/call? Check/fold?

River is Jd.

Now what?

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

07-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Check/Call and you still don't know if you have the best hand or not. Check/Fold and you may be mucking the best hand. Bet and fold to a raise is the only move, since your redraw to beat a fullhouse is a one outer. Good Luck! P.S. WHAT HAPPENED?

07-09-2002, 04:55 PM
Well I obviously wasn't happy with the turn card. I bet and only the big stack called.

On the river I believe I made a mistake by betting again. I probably should have check/called after he called the turn bet.

My opponent only called but showed AT. He was afraid I had AJ for a bigger full house. To make things worse he had the elusive Ts so my royal draw was non-existent.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

07-09-2002, 05:01 PM

07-10-2002, 05:56 AM
"Turn is Ac.

What is my best plan of action on the turn? Do I bet out and fold to a raise? Check/call? Check/fold?"

Ken - A tough situation because you got your hopes up after the flop, but a very straightforward decision. We've all been there.

You make the nut straight on the flop, bet, and are not raised. There also is a flush draw, but you, yourself, have the top two flush draw cards. You have to ask yourself what cards your opponents must hold.

Good tournament players would not chase this flop looking for low. Good tournament players would also not chase this flop with non-nut or non-second-nut flush draws. You were not raised on the flop and can probably eliminate another ace high straight. Therefore you have to suspect whoever sees your flop bet in the face of a possible straight and a flush draw has a set or two pairs, and if two pairs, then probably top two pairs or possibly top and bottom pairs.

Thus when the top card on the board pairs, unless you are playing fools, it is almost certain that one (or both) of your opponents has made a full house.

There is only one river card that can save you and the odds are 43 to 1 against your catching the ten of spades and making the straight flush. You're not getting anywhere near 43 to 1 pot odds or implied pot odds.

Therefore, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't put any more chips into the pot. Check and fold to a bet on the turn. If nobody bets the turn, suspect someone is slow playing a nut hand and check and fold to a bet on the river.

Buzz

07-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Good analysis Buzz.

You brought up some really good points that I should have thought at the time. I know in my mind I was thinking that he could have the same hand plus I was certainly overvaluing the royal draw.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com