PDA

View Full Version : NL Betting Amount ?

07-09-2002, 08:55 AM
Hello all,

I am going to be playing in my first NL tournament this weekend and had a question about raises for the more experienced players.

I have read Suzuki's book several times, and just got through TPFAP this weekend, but need to read it a couple of more times, didn't really see what I was looking for there(though it was a great read...Learned alot).

Anyhow, I am basically wondering what one typically bets on the flop with top pair, good/best kicker, and top two pair.

I would guess that if there is a flush on the board or straight you want to bet close to the pot to force out anyone on the draw. Is this correct?

How about when you flop two pairs or better?

How about a flush or straight draw? Should you be willing to call a pot-sized raise on the flop, knowing that you may get paid off if you hit your draw? Or to thwart the opponent who is using this tactic against you?

I know these are some beginner questions, and that alot of people will say it depends, but I would like to know the norms...Not so much for my own play, but so I can put people on hands.

Thanks,

-J

07-09-2002, 10:14 AM
There is no norm, in the sense that you can look at a bet made by a player you've never seen before and know what it is likely to be. Some folks do have patterns, but there are a variety of different folks out there, so it would be very dangerous to assume someone new to you is following a specific pattern.

In your case, as a beginner, I recommend a simple rule. Bet the pot, or a rounded-off number slightly less than the pot, every time you bet. Whether you've got top pair, a set, a draw, or a total bluff, always bet the same amount in the same manner. If there is 425 in the pot, put out 4 chips of 100 no matter what you're holding, or don't bet at all. Same for a raise. Raise about the amount of the pot, or call, or fold. Don't raise less or more.

The main exception, until you learn more, is when the pot-sized bet will use up a lot of your stack. In that case, bet it all instead. So, if a pot-sized bet would be 400, and you have 1000 total in your stack, just bet it all instead.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)