PDA

View Full Version : A8s - middle pair - two opponents

cab4656
12-13-2004, 07:54 PM
MP2 seems like an okay player. I've only seen him for one orbit so far, but he's only played one hand outside the blinds.

UTG is loose (73 VPIP) and fairly aggressive.

My plan was to check-raise the turn. I figured it would definitely drive out UTG and hopefully win the pot right there if MP3 folds overcards. Was that a dumb idea? Would it have been better to check-raise the flop, hopefully folding UTG, and then bet it the rest of the way? I have no clue what I should've done here.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks.

River: (4.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

Jonny Melon
12-13-2004, 08:42 PM
You should have check-raised this flop. 1) This helps protect your hand against UTG. 2) You get equity out of MP2, who you very well may have reverse dominated. If you are 3-bet, you will need to re-evaluate, but there's a pretty good chance you have the best hand here, but it is definitely vulnerable. Don't get tricky and protect your hand now on the flop while you have the chance.

Jon

DrPublo
12-13-2004, 10:40 PM
I like it. MP2's play reads like a missed AK/AQ so I think you do good by 3-betting river.

The Doc

AceHigh
12-13-2004, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it have been better to check-raise the flop, hopefully folding UTG, and then bet it the rest of the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the standard line here. Fortunately you got some actin on the river, so it turned out good for you.

alul
12-14-2004, 12:31 AM
The pot is small, no flush draw is available, you are fine to slow play here.

Wired Jokers
12-14-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The pot is small, no flush draw is available, you are fine to slow play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, aren't you missing something? Like holding a very strong hand or a monster? Slowplaying is a mistake. You need to protect your hand here.

Check raise the flop. If UTG folds and MP2 just calls, bet the turn.