PDA

View Full Version : Doyle Brunson's Super System 2 - looks good

dogmeat
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Although there is a forum for books, for those that rarely visit there I wanted to mention my first impression of Super System 2.

The book is another monster - 650 pages, and like the original Super System, Doyle has gotten several top pros to write chapters. He also includes his own story - a chapter just like in the first book.

Along with limit and 100+ pages on NL HE, there are chapters on Omaha, Omaha 8, 7-card 8 and also Triple Draw. This is my first look at Triple Draw, and I'm enjoying the writing by Daniel Negreanu. There are other chapters as well, and I don't think anybody is going to be disappointed by this book as an overall product.

I personally am not a fan of the Mike Caro tips found in a chapter here, but if you are new to poker - well I guess they should be considered sound advice if somewhat lacking in real insight.

The forward also has a terrific quote from Theodore Roosevelt that everybody that bashes the players they see on the WPT and WSOP broadcasts should read - and with hope, understand.

Hope you all enjoy the book.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

AngryCola
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally am not a fan of the Mike Caro tips found in a chapter here, but if you are new to poker - well I guess they should be considered sound advice if somewhat lacking in real insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the draw section? I'm pretty sure Caro is regarded as one of the experts on draw poker.

sourbeaver
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
I read a couple random pages in every section and it looks good. I can already see I won't agree with most of his NL theory though.

Didn't know the guy fought cancer when he was younger /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sourbeaver
12-13-2004, 08:05 PM
No, I think he is referring to the Mike Caro tips section. There are forty-something tips in there about some general gambling and poker concepts. Some pretty basic stuff, but some enlightening wisdom also.

dogmeat
12-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Alright, I've read the first 200 pages and I may actually be getting to some poker advice. I skipped early to the Triple Draw, then went back to the first page and started reading. Mike Caro is a good guy, but all of his advice I have read elsewhere (probably in his books or articles). I really hoped this would be new info.

I'm starting in on Jennifer Harmon (whoops, not exactly what I meant) and her take on limit hold'em. For a newish player, I think SS2 is great, but after 200 pages I'm getting a little more impatient than I was after just checking the Triple Draw chapter..........

Anybody finish the actual "poker" chapters?

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif