rachelwxm
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Just want to check if anybody think my play was bad:

It's bubble time blinds (150/300)

Seat 1: tiny stack (470) sb
Seat 7: bigstack (4875) bb
Seat 8: hero (1445)
Seat 10: medium stack (1210)

Hero is UTG and see 99. Hero push, right move?

Thanks in advance.

Irieguy
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
It's not a bad push, but I think a fold is better. The reason is that the 2 most likely people to call are the big stack and the desperate stack. So, your folding equity is very small. You're probably better off to fold almost any 2 there, and push with almost any two from the SB if possible.

The fact that the chip leader has the button, and the dog is UTG when you are in the SB makes this very unlikely, though. Also, if you push UTG, the small stack may fold and hope the big stack tangos with you.

So, there you go.... I've now talked myself into thinking that a push is better. Good play, Rachel.

Irieguy

Dallara
12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I had almost this exact same situation the other day. Actually, I had 88 with roughly the same stacks and positions. I pushed my 88, called by the big stacks TT, and I'm out 4th.

After this hand, I started thinking that perhaps I should have just min raised (I actually had 2K in chips, so I could min raise still and have an ok stack) and toss it if the BB came over the top, push to a re-raise by the other two. This play is probably a disaster with tough players, but the big stack was playing a little tight.

Anyone have a good strategy for this situation, besides folding? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tigerite
12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
No way can you minraise, you'll be putting over 40% of your stack in. I absolutely hate it but I might be tempted to limp here (ugh, I know). If the medium stack or the small stack makes a play, you can call and not be worried, whereas if the big stack comes over the top (assuming small and med stack fold) you can fold it and still be in fairly good shape. However if the small stack pushes onto the BB and he then comes over the top, you can call, knowing you're likely to beat at least one of them (which is all you need to do).

FishBurger
12-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Fold, and you're playing for third. Push, and you're playing for first. Limp, and the big stack gets a free look at the blind and can put you allin on the flop (me no likey). Minraise, and you're pot committed.

Gotta push.

wayabvpar
12-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Push. Limping is just asking to be pushed off the hand, and folding is horrible IMHO- you can easily get blinded into irrelevance before you pick up KK or AA. Make the other players make a decision. You will win the blinds a lot of times here (good addition to your stack); if not, you are still a favorite against all but a handful of hands (to which you are a big dog, but that is poker).

syka16
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Push. The short stack might call but you're probably ahead. If he takes half your stack, you're still alive... sorta. If you've been tight and the BB is likely to fold AJ- because you've challenged the short stack.

willperkins
12-13-2004, 10:38 PM
I push. One thing I've learned from reading this forum is play to win and settle for third (in this case 4th). Unless medium stack and SB have a good hand they will probably fold and wait until they can be the agressor.

Big stack may call, but it will still cost him 25% of his stack if he does and with 99 you have a good chance to double up and be 2nd in chips and about t600 behind the leader.