PDA

View Full Version : playing scary boards against LAGs

topspin
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
MP1 is uber-LAG, something like 50/20/9 over 25 hands or so. How far should I go with my hand? The board is very scary, but who knows what a LAG has ...

Anyone play the turn or river differently?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (17 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Shillx
12-13-2004, 06:39 PM
And you didn't raise the turn because....?

Shill

topspin
12-13-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And you didn't raise the turn because....?

[/ QUOTE ]

The two things I was thinking were "Even LAGs get a hand sometimes" and "what the heck is BB calling with??" It seemed likely that if LAG was pushing crap that BB might still have 2 pair on a board like this and been scared into passivity.

It felt like weak-tight thinking in retrospect, which was why I brought it here for the customary berating. Do you raise and call down a 3-bet, cap the turn, or what?

Shillx
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Hell yeah I'm calling the LAG down if he 3-bets here. Not so sure what I'd do if a passive 3-bets.

Shill

dana33
12-13-2004, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It felt like weak-tight thinking in retrospect, which was why I brought it here for the customary berating.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have anything to add on your hand, but I love the "customary berating" line.

At least you had only one LAG to deal with. A few days ago, I lost a bundle when I had KK and let myself get stuck in a raising war between two LAGs and an only slightly scary board (Q high and a 3-flush by the turn). LAG #2 took it down with something like 83s for the flush (after calling my 3-bet pre-flop). LAG #1 had AQ for TPTK. I don't think it would have been too weak-tight to throw away the KK on the turn when it was 2-bets to me and all signs were that it would be capped to the river. But I'd like to hear if anyone disagrees. I await my berating with baited breath.

kgrad5
12-13-2004, 09:51 PM
when checked to in position, why did you not value bet the river? there is no way mp1 is going for a check raise here.. you did not raise the turn and he has no assurance that you will bet the river.. more likely the 9 pairing counterfitted his bottom 2 pair and bb had an oesd that did not complete. bet this river imo