PDA

View Full Version : I lost 5 lbs in 10 days...click here to find out how.

kerssens
12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
I GOT OFF MY LAZY ASS AND LIFTED....Fad diets are out of control.

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I thought you were going to say you took a huge dump.

namknils
12-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Maybe I'll get a ton of arguments by saying this but...

The Atkins diet is very unhealthy.

Alobar
12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, lifting wont cause you to lose 5 pounds in 10 days. If anything it will actually cause you to gain weight. (tho 10 days of lifting wont put on a noticble increase in muscle mass). Most of that 5 pounds was likely water weight.

but yeah, fad diets are for morons and your point is valid /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'll get a ton of arguments by saying this but...

The Atkins diet is very unhealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by anyone with intelligence on the subject

kerssens
12-13-2004, 04:29 PM
didn't the atkins guy die after slipping on an icy sidewalk? Shows what can happen to you on atkins.

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 04:30 PM
if I am not mistake, if you increase your muscle mass, you also boost your metabolism.

The once and future king
12-13-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
didn't the atkins guy die after slipping on an icy sidewalk? Shows what can happen to you on atkins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shi.t I just started the atkins diet and Im going ice skating on thursday.

Actualy that a lie, cant imagine life without being able to eat bread.

astroglide
12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
lifting is for muscle building, not calorie burning

kerssens
12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
I could swear I burned a calorie or two while lifting.

jakethebake
12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'll get a ton of arguments by saying this but... The Atkins diet is very unhealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually there's lots of evidence to the contrary, going back well-before it became a fad diet. Ketogenic diets were used for years before that to control epilepsy in children. Although the long-term health effects on healthy people are not as well documented, the effects on epileptic children that were placed on these diets are pretty positive.

kerssens
12-13-2004, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were going to say you took a huge dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be "I lost 5 lbs in 10 minutes"

J.R.
12-13-2004, 05:03 PM

But muscles burn calories, and increasing muscle mass increases caloric "burn". You won't get thin on weight training alnoe, but if your really want to increase caloric burn, lift AND do your cardio.

lu_hawk
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
A pound of muscle burns 30-50 calories a day just to be maintained. So put on 10 lbs of muscle and it's like going on the treadmill for a half hour a day without even doing anything. A lb of fat costs basically nothing to maintain.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Exercise (lifting and cardio) will help you lose weight because, like somebody else said, it'll increase metabolism (or at least increase the necessary amount of calories the body needs). Diets alone won't work because the body can adjust to the reduced amount of calories by expending fewer calories.

That's why it's diet AND exercise. Not just diet, not just exercise. Assuming no to little exercise, the body can compensate to using all of the calories consumed in a day to about 10 calories. That's why counting calories doesn't really work.

But yeah, lifting shouldn't make you lose weight. I've been doing some spinning & lifting 3-4 times a week the past month and I've only lost maybe 2 pounds. Whatever, as long as you look better, weight shouldn't matter.

lu_hawk
12-13-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'll get a ton of arguments by saying this but... The Atkins diet is very unhealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually there's lots of evidence to the contrary, going back well-before it became a fad diet. Ketogenic diets were used for years before that to control epilepsy in children. Although the long-term health effects on healthy people are not as well documented, the effects on epileptic children that were placed on these diets are pretty positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading something about how eskimos in some regions are ketogenic their whole life because they have no choice and have nothing to eat besides meat. Tests done on these people didn't show any ill effects.

The Atkins diet is unhealthy for alot of people just because they still don't get off their ass and instead of eating foods that are good for you but contain carbs they eat steak, burgers, and bacon. But I don't thing a ketogenic diet is inherently bad.

astroglide
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
you can tie your shoes to burn calories too, it doesn't make it more efficient. cardio is way better than lifting if weight loss is the goal.

spamuell
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Just don't eat for a few days and you lose weight really fast. I'm not joking.

kerssens
12-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I have an email account that I set up for a school experiment a year or so ago to track the amount of spam. I check it periodically out of curiosity to see how much spam is in there and today I checked it and found ten emails that had that very subject line.

kerssens
12-13-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm sure throwing up after every meal works too.

spamuell
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm sure throwing up after every meal works too.

Yeah, but that's really bad for you.

Alobar
12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I am not mistake, if you increase your muscle mass, you also boost your metabolism.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but unless he put on about 500 pounds of muslce, he didnt burn enough caloies in ten days to lose 5 pounds of fat.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Actually, throwing up after every meal won't make you lose weight. A lot of the calories are absorbed as soon as they hit your stomach, so you're not getting rid of all the calories, AND your body will compensate eventually and you might actually get fatter, because it'll be all like, woah, WTF? I'm getting inconsistant meals, I better get as much energy as possible from the ones I AM getting.

Like I was saying before, the body is f'n ingenious and will pretty much destroy any attempt at a diet in about 3 weeks or so.

OrangeHeat
12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Incorrect - at least for me.

Cardio never did sh't for my weight. Intense lifting 5 days a week did.

More muscle highger basal metabolism rate.

Orange

BTW there are recent studies showing lifitng is a good weight to lose weight for fat people, but i am way too lazy to look for them.

astroglide
12-14-2004, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but unless he put on about 500 pounds of muslce, he didnt burn enough caloies in ten days to lose 5 pounds of fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

TimM
12-14-2004, 01:35 PM
I lost over 70 lbs on low-carb, 40 of it in the first couple of months. I've been on and off it for the last 3 years, but been slacking the last year or so, and I put back 20 lbs. I need to try for another 50 from here, but it's harder to be as strict as I need to be the second time around.

I see a doctor every 4 months for high BP (pre-existing). My cholesterol and triglycerides have always been fine. I used to do a lot of cycling in the spring/summer, and have weights I should be using, but working full time plus >20 hrs of poker per week leaves me too tired and with little time for exercise. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I guess it's about time for a couple of those resolution things.

Joe Tall
12-14-2004, 01:42 PM

Um, you burn calories by sleeping.

Peace,
Joe Tall

The Dude
12-14-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cardio is way better than lifting if weight loss is the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Short-term, yes. By adding muscle mass your body will burn many more calories over the course of the day. Over a stretch of a couple months, weight-training is a better use of time than cardio. That is, unless you enjoy cardio and plan on doing it for the rest of your life.