PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: Ray

turnipmonster
12-13-2004, 04:17 PM
great movie. jamie fox does a hell of a job as ray, and you really get to see firsthand why people loved him so much and just how engaging his music was. they spent a lot of time on his early years in the business, and you really get to see how a working band lives on the road, which (if the movie is accurate) hasn't really changed all that much.

anyways, a very good movie. my only complaint is I still feel like they rushed through things at times, particularly when ray was still looking for his own sound.

--turnipmonster

felson
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the review! Think I'll see this one now.

deacsoft
12-13-2004, 05:44 PM
IMO, Mr. Foxx is a highly under-rated actor. It's great to see him getting some decent rolls recently. I Haven't seen Ray yet but I hope to soon.

turnipmonster
12-13-2004, 06:07 PM
additionally, he does a great job of playing/miming the piano parts.

--turnipmonster

Ulysses
12-13-2004, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Mr. Foxx is a highly under-rated actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jamie Foxx leads Golden Globe nominations (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/movieawards/goldenglobes/2004-12-13-golden-globe-nominations_x.htm)

Jamie Foxx celebrated his 37th birthday Monday with a record three acting nods: best actor in a musical or comedy for Ray, best supporting actor for Collateral and best lead actor in a TV movie or miniseries for Redemption.

deacsoft
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Mr. Foxx is a highly under-rated actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jamie Foxx leads Golden Globe nominations (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/movieawards/goldenglobes/2004-12-13-golden-globe-nominations_x.htm)

Jamie Foxx celebrated his 37th birthday Monday with a record three acting nods: best actor in a musical or comedy for Ray, best supporting actor for Collateral and best lead actor in a TV movie or miniseries for Redemption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to re-phrase... Mr. Foxx was a highly under-rated actor. I've been thinking it since Any Given Sunday.

bdk3clash
12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Quick question: What is the significance of Ray Charles owning his masters? The movie made a pretty big deal about this.

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quick question: What is the significance of Ray Charles owning his masters? The movie made a pretty big deal about this.

[/ QUOTE ]he was one of the first artist to do this. This meant that he owned the original recordings of his songs, so basically the record company couldn't whore him out to everyone else. He could whore himself out and make money of it, which wasn't likely if he didn't own them.