PDA

View Full Version : Question

TheBob
12-13-2004, 04:13 PM
I was playing a 20+2 SNG on pokerstars earlier and we were down to 4 players. I get dealt king jack offsuit and am first to act, I raise it around 3xbb. The 3rd stack goes all in and the short stack goes all in too. At this point the pot was laying me around 5-1 odds and would still leave me with plenty of chips. SO I call. Flop comes down rags and I push the 3rd stack all in, he folds and the short stack turns over ace 2 and I don't improve. I win the side pot though and that pays for me to have played the hand. This also leaves the original 3rd stack all but bankrupt. He starts cursing me out telling me how that was terrible poker etc. and that he would have beat the shortstack. My question to you is whether or not that was bad poker/etiquette? Normally I'd just check it down in that situation but there was a big sidepot and I figured if I bluffed one guy and the short stack won the 3rd stack would still be close to eliminated so it wouldnt hurt me too much, I'd get my money back through the side pot and still have a chance to knock the short stack out. Any help?

TheBob
12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Anyone?

swede123
12-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Tell that guy to go play Bridge or something. Poker is a lonely game =)

Cheers,

Swede

YourFoxyGrandma
12-13-2004, 04:54 PM
This situation doesn't make sense. If the 3rd stack and short stack are all in, how can the 3rd stack fold later?

TheBob
12-13-2004, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This situation doesn't make sense. If the 3rd stack and short stack are all in, how can the 3rd stack fold later?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry i guess the 3rd stack just re-raised or something. You got the gist though right?

Daliman
12-13-2004, 04:55 PM
With a solid sidepot, fu[/b]ck the other player. You are playing for yourself, and short stack CPR can also be emploted here given the right circumstances. It can at times hinge on bad poker, but etiquette as regarding to you playing your hand as you choose is essentially a non-issue. Mind you, I might be pissed off too, but that's what he gets for playing like a little tiny girl. which would not have happened to me.

Many people confuse this situatuion with bluffing into a dry sidepot. LOTS different.

Big Limpin'
12-13-2004, 04:56 PM
No, your A-ok in my books. That is more applicable to MTTs. Winning a side-pot (or more accurately, not allowing him to draw at you) is of much greater imprtance when 4-handed. Every man for himself, look out for #1

YourFoxyGrandma
12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry i guess the 3rd stack just re-raised or something. You got the gist though right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Yeah man, nothing wrong with bluffing at a sidepot.

tigerite
12-13-2004, 05:39 PM
I would have done the same. You look after one person in poker, that's yourself. If he wanted the pot so badly, he should have either called your push, or gone all in preflop, shouldn't he? As Daliman said - he played like a little girl.

se2schul
12-13-2004, 05:51 PM
He's mad that you bluffed him out?
So what! It's part of the game.
He got mad at you for not checking down the side pot?
So what! He's the dope that raised you in the first place.
He lost most of his chips?
So what! He shouldn't have committed so much of his stack without being prepared to go all-in.

Essentially he's saying:
"Shame on you for bluffing me out. I had a better hand but wasn't able to call you bet."

Hello! Bluffing is part of the game.

Steve

Sluss
12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
With money in the side pot you should be trying to win that pot.

Dry side pot you really should be checking it down.

That is unless you are trying to keep the all in player alive. /images/graemlins/wink.gif