PDA

View Full Version : My approach to building my bankroll...

EStreet20
12-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering what the more experienced players thought of the approach I'm taking to building a decent roll to move up. I started with 50 bucks ( I know it's too small, read on) at Pokerroom.com to play .25-.50 hold em about two weeks ago. Once I hit 150 (300 BB) I began to play properly (I was a bit of a rock before that). Now my approach has become to play until I win 200 BB and then cashing out 100 BB. I know many would prefer to keep all the winnings toward building up but my rationale for cashouts is twofold. First, we play poker to make money don't we? Second, and perhaps more importantly, doing so will force me to win a few more hundred big bets at each level than simply moving up when I reach 300 BBs. Thus I feel that it is ingraining a more disciplined, grind it out type attitude in me that I'll need at the higher limits. I plan on using this schedule of cahing out 100 BB for every 200 won at each limit and seeing how high I go. I may move up after I've made it to 350 BB for the next level and thus cah out to 300 or I may try to move up to an inflated roll (500?? BB). Any opinions on whether or not you more experienced players agree with this approach would be appreciated as well as whether in your experience 300 BB is usually safe.
Thanks,
Matt

namknils
12-13-2004, 04:18 PM
It looks to me that you have a good idea of what you want to do, and I think it will work just fine. Of course you will move up faster if you don't cash out but who cares? If you're playing for fun and money then you get to have both, and as you say yes it will make you earn a little extra at each level to make sure you can beat it, sounds good to me.

300 big bets is common recommendation to move up, 500 BB is the very safe number. I haven't had trouble with swings with a 300 BB bankroll.

Good luck.

semipro
12-13-2004, 06:16 PM
i'll probably be ripped for this post, but I was playing limits above my BR for a year, but I truly felt comfortable at this level, so while the 300BB is a good recommendation to absorb any types of swings, play what you feel comfortable.

Otherwise, your approach seems sound and steady. GL, and hope to see you on the 5/10 tables soon.

Bodhi
12-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I've had similar questions myself. Perhaps I focus too much on moving up to the next limit. Hmmm...

TobDog
12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Playing above your BR is only important if you will quit if you go broke and you dont have any more $ to put in to your quest. Someone for example who is single, and has very few expenses and maked 50k/year will probably have expendable cash to put into their BR anytime necessarry. So I blieve you are both corrcet or your individual situations, for whatever that is worth.

tobdog