PDA

View Full Version : will the STEPS field improve a lot?

schwza
12-13-2004, 02:37 PM
i have a seat into a step 4 (500+35) tourney on party. my question is, is it worthwhile to play a lot more lower STEPS before playing in the level 4? i have pretty limited sattelite experience and frequently get in spots where i feel totally clueless. (for example, if there are 5 left, top 4 get seats, and i have 5k with other stacks at 6k, 4k, 3k, and 2k, should i play very tight, or super ultra tight?)

i feel i could get somewhat better at these types of tournaments with more practice, but the field is probably going to get better too. most people have little experience in these weird 20-player sattelites, so maybe i should i give it a go now?

(if i get a seat to the level 5, i'll definitely play a lot of regular 2-table sit n go's for practice).

fnord_too
12-13-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(for example, if there are 5 left, top 4 get seats, and i have 5k with other stacks at 6k, 4k, 3k, and 2k, should i play very tight, or super ultra tight?)

[/ QUOTE ]

No and No, you should attack the 4k and 3k's blinds if the 6k guy is not likely to get involved. Don't risk becoming the short stack yourself, though, without a legit hand. (the 4k and 3k stacks will get out of your way most of the time because there is a shorter stack they hope will go bust. Why bother? You pick up some chips while weakening the shorter stacks. The last thing you want to do is get blinded off some and end up with a filed like 8K 3K 3K 3K 3K, you not being the 8K).

SharkBait
12-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I expect the fields will definitely get tougher as more of the better players start to play these. Of course, there will be more fish attracted as well but more of the better players will make it to 4 and 5. The 5th Step in particular already seems to be attracting alot of sharks. I would recommend watching a few Step 4s and 5s and playing a few Step 2s before taking your shot but I wouldn't wait too long. There is a recent string in the Internet forum about a Step 5 hand involving Gigabet that you should definitely read.

Good luck.

SharkBait
12-13-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I expect the fields will definitely get tougher as more of the better players start to play these. Of course, there will be more fish attracted as well but more of the better players will make it to 4 and 5. The 5th Step in particular already seems to be attracting alot of sharks. I would recommend watching a few Step 4s and 5s and playing a few Step 2s before taking your shot but I wouldn't wait too long. There is a recent string in the Internet forum about a Step 5 hand involving Gigabet that you should definitely read.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. The Gigabet thread is in this forum.

schwza
12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
hmm, may have just inadvertently shown my ignorance. what you're saying makes sense. i've found myself in that spot a couple of times - blinding away a chunk of my "safe" stack to the point where it's no longer safe. it's a double hit cause my stack's going down and propping up others' stacks.

i really want to play the step 4, but i don't know if i can justify it when i don't know some basic sattelite situations.

Lurshy
12-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Apparently there are a lot of 'regular' 200$ sit&go players buying directly into step 4 & 5. They have had multiple wins at the Step 5 level. They enjoy encountering the occasional guppie that makes it up from an 11+1 step 1 tourney. While due to varience, I believe anyone can win a step 5, their (the regulars) experience certainly gives them a big edge.

You may be better served continuing to gain experience before using your 'freeroll'. You may also want to observe play on a bunch high step tournies (and analysize play with poker tracker if you are a user).

GL.

Greg Zabawa
12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Actually, I don't think the field can get much better. The best $215 players are already playing in Steps 4 and 5. If anything it will get worse as these players get bored with STEPS.

HoldingFolding
12-13-2004, 08:37 PM
I'd like the opportunity to get bored with making bucketloads of filthy lucra. I wonder what the big boys (and Missy) are pulling in from these?

Apathy
12-13-2004, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like the opportunity to get bored with making bucketloads of filthy lucra. I wonder what the big boys (and Missy) are pulling in from these?

[/ QUOTE ]
not sure if this question was rhetorical but my guess would be they have around 20-25% ROI meaning around 200 per step 5. The ones that buy in at step 4 or 3 probably have a higher roi but obviously play less step fives so may make less total dollars.

Lurshy
12-13-2004, 11:18 PM
The point was, this is a low limit inexperienced player that made it to step 4. He is not used to the 200$ players that are populating steps 4 & 5. So is the competition stiffer at Step 4 & 5 - YES.

zaxx19
12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
The biggest difference I have seen in watching high buy in and low buy in SNG is the players willingness to move in. Seemed like every pot was contested to death and like people take shots at raising and reraising very aggressively with unconventional hands like j-10s AND KQs as long as it is limped( or just miniraised) to them and they have excellent postion. Is this what you other players have noticed or am I just wrong??

Apathy
12-14-2004, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The biggest difference I have seen in watching high buy in and low buy in SNG is the players willingness to move in. Seemed like every pot was contested to death and like people take shots at raising and reraising very aggressively with unconventional hands like j-10s AND KQs as long as it is limped( or just miniraised) to them and they have excellent postion. Is this what you other players have noticed or am I just wrong??

[/ QUOTE ]

not only that but you will see more calling all in in these higher buy in games then in lower ones with worse hands, the reason being of course that later on in SNGs this is often correct against teh large range of opponents hands, you cant get away with stealing as much in these levels.

Lurshy
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
These are some dangerous generalizations. My experience with these folks indicates, they play the way the cards, and table texture dictate.

They are good players that will mix it up. Extremely patient at times, they will change gears as stacks and table size warrant it. While they will take advantage of weakness, you better be prepared to make lay downs at the right time.

Maybe I give them too much credit/respect, but I don't think so.

schwza
12-14-2004, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The point was, this is a low limit inexperienced player that made it to step 4. He is not used to the 200$ players that are populating steps 4 & 5. So is the competition stiffer at Step 4 & 5 - YES.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be snooty, but i have had a lot of success in cash NL games and NL tourneys - i was only saying that i'm inexperienced in these weird 2-table sattelites.

so my question was whether it was a good idea to practice them at the $50 level before taking my $500 shot, or whether in that time the field would be improving a lot also.

Prickly Pete
12-14-2004, 12:57 PM
This is an easy answer to me. If you are unsure about your satellite game, then keep playing the lower buyins before you use your Step 4. You will improve much more than the Step 4 field will worsen (if it does at all).

Lurshy
12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
My answer is still yes. Unless with you NL you have a lot of short handed and final table experience.

eleventy
12-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Also if you can qualify for that level a 2nd or 3rd time it takes some pressure off this being your 1 chance at the big money. Maybe put you at ease a little knowing you have a couple of mulligan's.