PDA

View Full Version : Oh, so you really do have aces...

MRBAA
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
The train game has so many riders this night that we've split into two five-handed games. I've adjusted accordingly, but it's taken a few hands for the other players to realize that I'm playing looser and more aggressive. Mr. Pushy is on my immediate left. He's reasonably solid, although too loose, and has been grumbling about my sudden aggression, when I receive (K8)K
and make it $5 to go. There's already $2 in the pot and he jacks it to $10 with a 3 in the door. Weak loose limper, call him Mr. Uncertain havers and wavers and calls $9 more, others fold, I call.

Fourth:

(8K) K4 (me)
(xx) 3T (Mr. Pushy)
(xx) 58 (Mr. Uncertain)

I bet out $5, thinking I may be winning and that if I get raised it will pressure Mr. Uncertain. Sure enough, Mr. Pushy makes it $10. Mr. Uncertain moans and bitches, but folds. I call. I don't think Mr. Push was rolled, cause I think he'd have smooth called on 3rd. But I do think aces is a real likely holding now that he's raised again.

With $46 in the pot, though, I'm calling $5 more.

Fifth:

Me: (K8)K4J
Mr. Pushy: (xx)3TQ

I check, Mr. Pushy bets $5, I call.

6th

me: (K8)K4J8
Mr. Pushy: (xx)3TQ5

I check. Mr. Pushy bets $5, I call with my two pair.

River goes check/check (I was planning to call a $10 bet), Mr. Pushy shows unimproved aces and my two pair is good.

Now my questions: Should I have bet $10 on river and folded to a raise? (I think yes)

Should I have folded on third when he made it $10 (I think no, although if Mr. Uncertain folds instead of calling folding may be right.)

I was going to fold if he caught a pair on board or an Ace and I didn't improve, on any street. Yes?

jon_1van
12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Why not bet 6th when you hit the 2 pair if you believe he has AA?

Fold 3rd? - Not after Mr.Uncertain calls

Bet 10 on river? - Yes, if you were willing to call it

Fold to river raise? - Yes, only call if this guy is apt to waaaaay over adjust to your aggression.

MRBAA
12-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Had my pair been open, I'd have bet. Since it was hidden, I was pretty sure he'd bet 6th, and I did consider c/r that street. But I wasn't absolutely sure he wasn't rolled, and would have hated it if he reraised there.

Michael Emery
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
The play was to checkraise 6th and bet the river (reread 7csfap's section on how to play against a big pair in the hole). You missed two big bets in this case /images/graemlins/frown.gif, make sure you dont let his aces off as easy next time. You said you considered c-r 6th but were concerned about the possibility of him being rolled. Notice mathematicaly (AA)3 is much more likely. Never play a limit hand like this meekly in fear of getting reraised.
Also if you were sure Mr.Pushy had AA in the hole (or rolled) to reraise your Kings on third, then there is no reason to put pressure on the third man to drop on 4th street.You actually want him in there. Especially with just $2 in the middle to start. It would be diffrent in an over ante game like 75-150 or up.

Mike Emery

jon_1van
12-13-2004, 07:10 PM
I like this post

rtrombone
12-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Even assuming there is a small chance your opponent is rolled up, he is so much more likely to have concealed aces that check-raising 6th is absolutely the correct play. It's not close. If he 3-bets and there is no way he will do this without trips, you call with your 4-outer and check-fold the river if you don't improve. Some people, though, are capable of 3-betting with just aces, planning to bet the river only if they improve. Against these guys I happily 4-bet.

Bet 7th dark. You can usually fold to a raise.

Andy B
12-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Me too.

BeerMoney
12-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Me 3. Seriously.