PDA

View Full Version : How Do YOU Play Top Set vs. Flush Board?

grandgnu
12-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Here's a hand that happened in a home game of mine. At the time we used to start with 1000 tournament chips. I was chip leader with 2600, another kid was all-in on the blinds (think we were around 100-200, don't recall, it's been a long time)

Another guy in the hand is 2nd in chips with 2200 left (after calling my pre-flop raise of 3x the BB)

I hold 9/9 and the flop comes down:

3c 6c 9c

He's first to act and moves all-in. If I call and win, I'm a huge chip leader and I eliminate my closest competitor. If I lose I'm down to 400 chips and go from chip leader to short-stack. Results in white below:

<font color="white"> I figured if he had the flush he wouldn't move all-in. He'd slowplay and trap me. His bet screamed that he wanted me to go away, not to call him. I called and he flipped over Ad 2h and I busted them both out </font>

colgin
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
You will get more responses if you post this in the 1-Table Tournament forum.

I am mostly a limit player but, FWIW, this seems like an easy call here.

grandgnu
12-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I figured as much, but wanted to see if there were players who would lay it down on here (so I can get them into my home game...*smirk*)

Then again, I had a friend reverse-bluff me before in a home game. I held J/J pre-flop and raised it up. He called and the flop was 5/Q/5 and he moved all-in. I figured "well, he can't have a 5, maybe A/K or a small pocket pair and he's trying to push me out of the pot".

So I called (he had me covered) and he flips over A/5. I catch a J on the turn and double-up and go on to win the event. His pre-flop call of my raise was terrible, but his post-flop moved threw me off my game, I never put him on the trips.

And I have another "friend" who called my pre-flop raise in another game (I held A/10) with a J/5 and the flop was 5/A/5 and I pushed and he of course called and doubled up off me. Gotta love those crazy calls. At least these fish are starting to get eaten up lately, I just tend to remember the poor plays more than anything. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

snowbank
12-13-2004, 02:58 PM
"I had a friend reverse-bluff me before in a home game."

What the heck is a reverse bluff????

grandgnu
12-13-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I had a friend reverse-bluff me before in a home game."

What the heck is a reverse bluff????

[/ QUOTE ]

His all-in after the flop of 5/Q/5 was a "reverse bluff" because it was meant to mislead me into believing he held A/K or a pocket pair like 7/7, 9/9, etc. His bet worked, inducing me to call it incorrectly into his flopped trips.

He made me believe he was bluffing at having the hand won with the bet, which induced my call. Since he wasn't bluffing and he DID have the hand virtually locked up, it was a "reverse" of a bluff that tricked me. w00t!