PDA

View Full Version : JJ facing a raise

Elektrik
12-13-2004, 11:33 AM
$30+3 NL tourney. Felt like this was the worst way I could have played my JJ. Any comments appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t622)
Hero (t1580)
Button (t2815)
SB (t588)
BB (t580)
UTG (t1815)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t325</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t550</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t225.

Flop: (t1250) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t325</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1575

etgryphon
12-13-2004, 11:47 AM
For how you played, you did right to fold...

However with a hand like Jacks I would push preflop and hope that he lays it down...or...call and see what happens that way you are not puting too much into the pot. I only wish that I could listen to my own advice...

Jacks are one of those hands that can get you into a world of hurt and usually depends on your reads of the other player.

-Gryph

jcm4ccc
12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Preflop I would either raise him all-in or fold. With his preflop raise, you're not going to play the Jacks for set value. And there's a better than 50% chance that there will be an overcard to your jacks on the flop, which will make the hand extremely difficult to play.

With queens, I might call the preflop raise and then put him all-in if no overcards hit on the flop. Or I might go all-in. Either play seems good to me.

Guy McSucker
12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I want to go all-in preflop here, I think.

Is that wrong?

Guy.

ghostface
12-13-2004, 11:56 AM
It depends on whether you want to win or cash. The blinds are goin up soon and theres three shortstacks that will probly be out soon. I'd push and hope he folds.

kevstreet
12-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Interesting you brought up pocket Js. Last night on PP in a $6 MTT (2000 entrants) down to 28 players and I was dealt that very hand. I had 34,000 chips, blinds were 3000/6000. I'm in early position. Figured I was doubling up or getting knocked out! I made it 18,000 to go, folds to the Button who calls. I should have moved all in pre-flop! Flop comes A, K, 10. Ouch! Not the flop I was looking for. Anyway, I only had 16,000 left and moved in, hoping he had a small pair. He turns over K, Q and I didn't catch a miracle on neither the turn nor the river. Oh well, I got myself in trouble w/ Jacks! I should've moved all in pre-flop. However, he had about 70,000 and may have called either way. Any suggestions on how I could've played this differently, or considering the situation did I have to take my chances w/ Jacks??

Colby818
12-13-2004, 02:59 PM
the first position raise/blind steal seems to be getting more and more commone on Party. I rarely give it much credit, unless the player deserves the credit. more often than not, it is the same as a button raise(it's just what you expect). with two short stacks in the blinds, when the hand was dealt, I know that someone is going to try to steal. so, I view the play as a steal. once I assess the play as a steal, I'm going to play aggressively back or fold. no offense, but I hate your raise. his bet says he's stealing, your raise says "I've got cards." you want to say "I know you are just stealing and I've got you beat." that play, given stack size, is a push. you push and hope he folds.

you have to always remember there are two ways to win with any 2 cards. 1 is to have the best hand, 1 is to get your opponent to fold. whenever possible you should try to have both chances. your raise there will amost never induce a fold. a push may induce a fold. it may also induce something like A5s to call. this creates an oppurtunity to double up and cripple an over aggressive opponent(or to take a dreaded bad beat). I think it's worth a shot.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
The min re-raise pre-flop is bad. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by doing so?

Calling and folding are both weak, here. I push and hope he doesn't have an overpair.

syka16
12-13-2004, 10:39 PM
I agree. Read dependent. If he's LAG push - He's probably got Axs or KQish. If not, call and push the flop with no overs.

willperkins
12-13-2004, 10:51 PM
I push or fold depending on my read of the UTG. If he is LAG, I push, if he is a tight player I fold.

wall_st
12-13-2004, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting you brought up pocket Js. Last night on PP in a $6 MTT (2000 entrants) down to 28 players and I was dealt that very hand. I had 34,000 chips, blinds were 3000/6000. I'm in early position. Figured I was doubling up or getting knocked out! I made it 18,000 to go, folds to the Button who calls. I should have moved all in pre-flop! Flop comes A, K, 10. Ouch! Not the flop I was looking for. Anyway, I only had 16,000 left and moved in, hoping he had a small pair. He turns over K, Q and I didn't catch a miracle on neither the turn nor the river. Oh well, I got myself in trouble w/ Jacks! I should've moved all in pre-flop. However, he had about 70,000 and may have called either way. Any suggestions on how I could've played this differently, or considering the situation did I have to take my chances w/ Jacks??

[/ QUOTE ]

The players in this tournament will call you 99.9% with KQo if you push before the flop. Especially since this guy had you outstacked by quite a bit. But you have to push here if you want any shot at all at placing top 10 in this thing also you have less than 10 x BB so push should be automatic. I played one of these a while ago and came in something like 15th and got a whopping 45 dollars, so it's not really worth your time unless you place well.