PDA

View Full Version : NL 4 flush

07-02-2002, 10:30 AM
I play almost exclusively limit poker and understand the calculations required when flopping a 4 flush. No-limit is a whole different ballgame though. Any help would be appreciated.

$10 on-line tournament. 3rd hand of the tournament so everyone is around 1,000 in chips, but I am the slight chip leader having won the first hand.

Blinds are 5/10 and I'm in the BB with 8d 4d. UTG raises it to 20 and gets 4 cold callers and then the SB completes. I decide to close it with a call. 7 to the flop with 140 in the pot.

*** FLOP *** : [ 3d Td 9h ]

SB checks and I check too. Should I bet out on this flop? UTG bets 10, gets two callers, then a LP raises 170. SB folds. What should I do?

His bet exactly matches the pot. If I didn't expect to have to make another bet on the turn I would have correct odds to call, but of course he can make a big bet then and force me out. Is there a rule of thumb for drawing to straights and pairs in NL? Do I calculate it card b card for instance I'm 4-1 against hitting on the turn alone, so I need 4-1 to call? Would anyone have raised the flop in my situation?

In my example I think I played it poorly. I called and everyone else folded. 2 to the turn with 510 in the pot.

*** TURN *** : [ 3d Td 9h ] [ Qh ]

I checked, he bet 260 and I folded.

COmments and suggestions please.

07-02-2002, 10:56 AM
When he bets the 170 you need to fold. Its way too early in the tournament to be on a flush draw in no-limit. Especially on such as weak one. If it was a nut-flush draw, it "might" be different.

07-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Your hand is a piece of dog poop that shouldn't have even made it to the flop. What hand are you trying to make with 84d? 6th nut flush?

07-03-2002, 03:38 AM
First and foremost, NL is not a drawing game, period. That being said, if you do draw you might want to do it with the nut draw and not an 8 high draw. FOLD FOLD FOLD

07-03-2002, 07:28 AM
All the responses so far have concentrated on the fact that this is a pretty small flush draw. Fair enough. But I'd be interested in your thoughts on a slightly different situation...

Suppose he's got the nut flush draw with Ax (no pair). What then?

Guy.

07-03-2002, 01:38 PM
In NLH making a flush is almost always the B hand. That is because it is difficult to get paid when you make one.

With a flush draw you either re raise, or fold. The idea is to WIN RIGHT NOW!!! Only in the worst case scenario that you get called do you actually have to hit anything. In this case you will be getting a bit more than 1-1 (assuming 1 other player) when you are about a 2-1 dog. By calling, you get 1-1 when you are a 4-1 dog to hit on the next card and virtually no implied odds because you are unlikely to get paid.

If you thought you could get it all in with 2 other players, and neither of them would have a biger flush draw then getting it all in is OK (you would still prefer a fold).

But, since there is no way to be certain that your flush draw is the only one, or best one out there you need to fold.

Calling preflop was not great if you are not a confident enough player to play this hand out of position on the flop. But, when you do call you need a bigger flop than this to play on.