PDA

View Full Version : Oceans Twelve

James Boston
12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
....ain't that good.

It's kind of funny and has some good one-liners, but the details of the actual heist are pretty lame. It takes a direction near the end that was incredibly stupid: (spoiler in white below)

<font color="white"> Tess (Julia Roberts) pretends to be Julia Roberts to create a diversion during the robbery, which is just a dumb, pointless plot twist. </font>

wayabvpar
12-13-2004, 02:52 PM
It was ok. I liked the first one a lot more. Worth a rental, probably.

kerssens
12-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I hope they don't make Ocean's Thirteen.

Ulysses
12-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I thought it was enjoyable, but was disappointed that the heist was no longer the central element of the movie and really just a device for a lot of fairly entertaining dialogue. Everything (including the dialogue about it) having to do with the heist itself was pretty weak imo, often overly contrived. Overall, I'd give this a fairly middle-of-the-road recommendation.

wayabvpar
12-13-2004, 03:39 PM
My favorite part may have been the 'Batman Begins' trailer. God I hope that movie lives up to my expectations...

James Boston
12-13-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the heist was no longer the central element of the movie and really just a device for a lot of fairly entertaining dialogue

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my biggest problem. With regard to not spoil the movie for others, didn't you think, given what the audience learns at the end, they went to alot of trouble to pour the proverbial salt onto the wound?

Ponks
12-13-2004, 04:17 PM
I agree, I liked the first one a lot more.

Ponks

namknils
12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
I really enjoyed the first one, should I go to the theater to see Ocean's 12 or wait for the rental?

AngryCola
12-13-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoyed the first one, should I go to the theater to see Ocean's 12 or wait for the rental?

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Ocean's 11, but judging from these responses...I'll wait for the rental.

James Boston
12-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Definately wait for the rental.

If you are going to the theater, I did see some really good looking previews. "Be Cool," the sequel to "Get Shorty" looked really good. "The Aviator" also looked good, and Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn have a movie coming out called "Wedding Crashers" that looked really funny.

Ulysses
12-13-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was my biggest problem. With regard to not spoil the movie for others, didn't you think, given what the audience learns at the end, they went to alot of trouble to pour the proverbial salt onto the wound?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The word I used in my initial response definitely applies in spades here - contrived. Overly so.

jakethebake
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I really hope that spoiler was a joke. Otherwise, it's truly the dumbest thing ever.

MarkL444
12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
it seems like every time i get really excited about a movie, like i was for this one, i get dissapointed.

brad pitt is cool.

ElSapo
12-13-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Be Cool," the sequel to "Get Shorty" looked really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought the preview for Be Cool looked like it had the same problems that Oceans 12 had -- trying too hard to live up to what made the original so good.

ElSapo

jakethebake
12-13-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to the theater, I did see some really good looking previews. "Be Cool," the sequel to "Get Shorty" looked really good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is Be Cool from a book too? I don't remember there being a book sequel to Get Shorty? If so, I'd go see it. Otherwise I'll wait for the video.

thirddan
12-13-2004, 05:55 PM
brad pitt is cool, but catherine zeta jones is insanely hot and very gorgeous...

Justin A
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....ain't that good.

It's kind of funny and has some good one-liners, but the details of the actual heist are pretty lame. It takes a direction near the end that was incredibly stupid: (spoiler in white below)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I was rather disappointed. It's hard to beat a Bellagio heist though.

Justin A

James Boston
12-13-2004, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Be Cool from a book too

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too familiar with the Elmore Leonard catalogue, so I can't say for sure, but I think it is.

James Boston
12-13-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm affraid it's true.

Even dumber addition to the spoiler:

<font color="white"> Bruce Willis plays himself and bumps into "Julia Roberts" throwing a wrench in everyone's gears. </font>

LondonBroil
12-13-2004, 07:40 PM
**SPOILERS BELOW**

I read somewhere that the main point of the movie was LeMark trying to meet his daughter. If that was the case, then why didn't he just call her up?

NotMitch
12-13-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is Be Cool from a book too

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too familiar with the Elmore Leonard catalogue, so I can't say for sure, but I think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, and the book is quite good.

AncientPC
12-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Started out strong, end sucked.

flapjack
12-14-2004, 06:06 PM
I lurk a lot and few things move me to post but this movie did. Spoilers below in white, non spoiler summation at bottom:

<font color="white">
The scene where Matt Damon, Don Cheadle, and one of the brothers are talking and decide to bring Tess into the caper makes no sense at all. There is no reason for this conversation to even takes place:

1. If Tess's involvement was planned all along then there is no need for the conversation/scene to take place at all. The audience isn't the bad guy or the cops. We won't tell on you. You don't need to fool us.

2. George C. is such a good planner he knows what Matt D. will do when faced with this particular situation. Once again, if this is planned just tell Matt D. what to do and have him do it.

They try and cop out by having LeMarc say "Assume you will be watched as soon as this begins" but I don't buy it. After they run through the times and actions then say,"then we all get arrested.", shows they don't think, or care, the place is bugged. This means all the planning was done before they got off the train. This in turn means that the ultimate heist/nose snubbing can be planned in a short time doing practically no research.

The randomn laser field was impossible to get through, right... I wonder if that little Chinese acrobat could have done that. Then using advanced technology, like a cell phone, steal the egg.

That is the most convaluted plan to meet your daughter that I have ever heard of. </font>

The more I think about this movie the more I hate it. It's all style and no substance. It even bothers me that they mentioned my favorite movie, Miller's Crossing, in this celebratiy back patting abortion.

I recommend everyone go see Primer instead. It leaves you asking question like "how does that work?" not questions like "why the [censored] did I fall for this one."

Summation: Not as bad as IRobot but if you like celebraties just read the people magazine about this movie. It will cost less and you won't have to take a shower to get rid of that "dirty" feeling.

ArchAngel71857
12-15-2004, 01:50 AM
I'll sum it up for those who haven't seen it.

Every "Star" gets adequate face time and gets to wear mad styling clothes. Each gets five funny lines/scenes. Something about a heist. Catherine Zeta Jones. Cool locales. It's almost as if I made a movie with my friends and was like "hey ;et's go cruise around Europe and hang out. Oh yeah, and if we have time we'll film a movie about how much fun the first movie was. Eliot Gould can come."

-AA

_2000Flushes
12-15-2004, 03:03 AM
I like the movie, although that could just be because I'm in love with Casey Affleck. And Catherine Zeta Groninger was as hot as I've seen her since Zorro.

I don't regret going to see it. And I'll probably go see Ocean's 10 (which comes out in '07). That's either a prequel or the two old guys die.

-2kF