PDA

View Full Version : tournament books

07-01-2002, 10:45 AM
I could tell by the response from my first post that I lack tournament know how. I have been playing tourneys at poker pages pokerschool. I have done some searches and found Sklansky ,Cloutier , and Ciafone (sp). Are there others that anyone would reccomend? Thanks.

07-01-2002, 02:10 PM

07-01-2002, 02:19 PM
thanks. what does *NM* mean?

07-02-2002, 12:43 AM
No message.

So those people who look at the thread subjects can get small amounts of information with less clicks,

Craig

07-02-2002, 09:50 AM
1. I would recommend that you buy The 2 Ciaffone books, 'pot and no-limit', and 'improve your poker'.

2. Also buy Sklansky's tournament book.

3. Although I haven't read it, I have heard that Ken Buntjer's tournament book is the next best. It is limit based, but a lot of the concepts apply to big bet tournaments as well.

4. If you can afford it, I would recommend that you buy lessons off Bob Ciaffone. You would also get one of the above books as a free gift with the lessons.

Along with this forum and PSO you would have all the resources you would need to become a good player. You could then buy other books such as super system and the Cloutier book etc.

07-02-2002, 03:33 PM

07-02-2002, 03:36 PM
Tnanks JGM. I really appreciate your response.

Andrew

07-03-2002, 12:42 AM
"Although I haven't read it, I have heard that Ken Buntjer's tournament book is the next best."

I have a very different opinion. Here's me review of it.

[i]The Secret to Winning Big In Tournament Poker[/] (1) by Ken Buntjer. This author managed to win three tournaments in a row several years ago at the Gold Coast. There’s no question that this was quite a feat, and he has done well in many other tournaments. However, his book contains virtually no information as to what a successful tournament strategy might be. The text doesn’t begin until page 19, and the last 30 pages are appendixes which include the rules of Texas hold ’em and the rules of some of the more popular tournaments such as the Gold Coast Open (now the Orleans Open). In between, there are numerous pages that also contain no text, and Buntjer’s book only addresses limit hold ’em.

The book starts by recommending extremely tight play. But it doesn’t seem to say much as to how you are suppose to play after that. It also spends several pages talking about different animals who represent the psychological make-up of different poker players. There are lions, lambs, and alligators among others. Apparently you should strive to be an alligator since that is what the best tournament players are. But exactly how you become an alligator or exactly how they play is never spelt out.

The book also has many omissions. Rebuys are never discussed, and the short section on deal making says to make the best deal you can. However, the author does not give any advice as to what the best deal should be or how you can go about making it. This book is not recommended.

07-03-2002, 01:07 AM
On Cloutier in particular, I've been hearing good things lately. Anyone else have comments how that book is organized, and how valuable it is?

2ndGoat

07-03-2002, 02:40 AM
I have not read Buntjer's book.

I was disappointed with the TJ/McEvoy tournament book. Too much time spent on TJ's stories and not much content.

I think Ciaffone/Reuben's book is better, but spends more time on live rather than tournaments.

I recently read Sklansky's new tournament book and it's certainly worth buying. But it still left me thinking that the ultimate tournament book has not yet been written...or at least not published and available.

JohnnyD

07-03-2002, 12:59 PM
If you are referring to T.J.'s Chanpionship No-Limit and Pot Limit book, It is not only very informative, it is highly entertaining!

07-04-2002, 12:22 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to give their imput. I've got a nice reading list.

07-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Looking to trade Sklansky's new tournament book TPFAP for either McEvoy's tournament book or Cloutier's No-Limit.Call 845-534-5253 ,ask for Bob