PDA

View Full Version : poker etiquette question

texasrattlers
12-13-2004, 03:30 AM
I think it's rude when everyone folds to the BB (isn't there a name for this?) and the BB shows some junk hand like 36os rather than just mucking it. Is this rude? Do people do this to show other people up or do they expect people to get a good-natured kick out of it?

spentrent
12-13-2004, 04:26 AM
This shouldn't affect your play or offend your sensibilities. I can't see what the harm is.

ghostface
12-13-2004, 04:32 AM
I love folding like JT on the bubble in the SB and have the BB show AA. What does someone showing their BB cards mean? I cant imagine anything. Usually by the time it comes down to the bubble we laugh about some of the shitty cards people get folded around to. I dont see how it would be bad etiquette.

texasrattlers
12-13-2004, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually by the time it comes down to the bubble we laugh about some of the shitty cards people get folded around to.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would laugh too in my home game. But I guess I lose my sense of humor playing online. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

kalooki45
12-13-2004, 08:12 AM
I think it's your own attitude about folding that gives you a prob. with this.
Folding is not weakness--8 out of ten times it shows brains.
You're folding 'cause the cards aren't worth buying, not cause your opp has a bigger whatzits /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrMon
12-13-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't think it's rude, and since it gives no one any useful info, it's more just like "Wow, did I get lucky."

Of course, it's also possibly a psych move that says you should raise next time because I'll fold, when really I'll have pocket aces, but since there's no way to predict that, it's just harmless fun.

alittle
12-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't think it's rude either and also agree that it really doesn't offer any information or anything at all really. I'll show if I have a particularly crappy hand to say thanks, and show a monster just to show disappointment.

It just lightens up the game a little and makes me laugh sometimes. Once it gets shorthanded though, I'll never show my hand - not that it makes any difference, but then it feels like I'm giving something up (not really).

texasrattlers
12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll show if I have a particularly crappy hand to say thanks, and show a monster just to show disappointment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I would view this completely different. I would not show a crappy hand so the folders could "save face", and I would show a monster again so the SB can save face by knowing he made a good fold. And then when a BB would show crappy cards with me in the SB I would think he was in effect saying "You got no balls, girly man!" Maybe my thinking on this is a relic of when I did play poker like a girly man /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Now that I throw chips around with the best of them (well, not the best of them, some players are just maniacs /images/graemlins/smile.gif) I will change my thinking on this.

alexbrew
12-13-2004, 06:37 PM
I've shown my BBs at the cheap live tourneys at the Luxor.

It's more of a "Whew, I'm glad I didn't have to play these," than showing anyone up. That's the way I think it normally comes off anyway.

On-line things are very impersonable, and people do tend to take everything wrong. I never show cards in any situation then.

alittle
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I guess my thing is that I don't mean to imply anything at all by doing it, and there isn't any good information to be had knowing my cards, so there's no advantage or disadvantage -- but, it could make people overthink things later based on silly reasoning. Just because I've shown 62, 72, 83 doesn't mean that I'll have crap when you try to steal later. If I'm paying attention, I'll try to only show strength or weakness and maybe it will cause someone to make a dumb adjustment.

deacsoft
12-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Rude... no.

If it's folded to me in the BB I just muck without even looking at them.

stanky
12-13-2004, 07:52 PM
I click the "muck losing/uncalled hands" box so no one ever sees my hand unless the pay for it. I don't know why more people don't do it, if you added up all those 2 second delays, when people have the option to show, it would make the games go alot faster.

As far as someone showing garbage in the BB goes the only possible negative I see is that maybe a normally "tight passive" would see it and think, "you know maybe I should try and steal more blinds."

-Pete