PDA

View Full Version : Beer that doens't explode when left in the freezer too long....

wacki
12-13-2004, 03:01 AM
Guiness (The widget does blow prematurely but the can is still good)
Pilsner Urquell

wacki
12-13-2004, 03:36 AM
14 views, and no one replies? There has to be other beers that don't explode. Post *hickup* damnit!

Skjonne
12-13-2004, 03:53 AM
Why do you want to put beer in the freezer?

wacki
12-13-2004, 03:56 AM
It's midnight. The liqour stores are closed. You goto the grocery store and buy warm beer. To cool them quickly you put some in the freezer. Sometime you remember in time, sometimes your forget 1 or 2. It depends on how drunk you are. Understand?

cnfuzzd
12-13-2004, 04:04 AM
a) who runs out of beer?

and

b) what self-respecting grocery store doesnt sell refridgerated beer?

peace

john nickle

wacki
12-13-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a) who runs out of beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

People that tend to kill a keg in 45 minutes. Or how about inviting 6 people over and the next thing you know you have 60. WTF?!?!?! I cannot be the only one in this forum that has ever had a life. Somebody back me up on this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every grocery store I've ever been to in Indiana, Florida, Massachusetts, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

cnfuzzd
12-13-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People that tend to kill a keg in 45 minutes. Or how about inviting 6 people over and the next thing you know you have 60. WTF?!?!?! Am I the only one in this forum that has ever had a life? Somebody back me up on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a stated policy that if the beer is coming in a keg, we have two full ones an hour before liquor sells stop. And i mean full size kegs. if 60 people show up, and no one brought beer, 60 people are going to the liquor store, or remaining sober. There are few individuals who have encountered cnfuzzd drunk without more beer. Its usually not pretty, especially if one has been drinking cnfuzzd's beer.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every grocery store I've ever been to in Indiana, Florida, Massachusetts, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move.

peace

john nickle

wacki
12-13-2004, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a stated policy that if the beer is coming in a keg, we have two full ones an hour before liquor sells stop. And i mean full size kegs. if 60 people show up, and no one brought beer, 60 people are going to the liquor store, or remaining sober. There are few individuals who have encountered cnfuzzd drunk without more beer. Its usually not pretty, especially if one has been drinking cnfuzzd's beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wouldn't it be nice to know what beer you can throw in the freezer and not have to worry about? Come on play along.

[ QUOTE ]
Move

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in 4 months, probably back to MA. No luck on the beer there though.

Alobar
12-13-2004, 05:03 AM
Im with cnfuzzd on this one. You should plan better so you dont run out of beer. You should make the incosiderate fucks who showed up with out beer go and get it.

I guess I;ve never been to any of those states, cuz the idea of a grocery store selling warm alcohol doesnt even computer in my brain.

I'd rather drink warm beer than putting beer in the freezer and waiting on it. Dont you own a cooler? by the time your done with the first warm beer, your next one will be cold.

Skjonne
12-13-2004, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think. Maybe. Dunno really.

What do you mean by "explodes"? Are the bottles actually exploding? Like *BAM* and then they're gone? Sounds cool - I want to try that. Which beers do you suggest I start out with? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Diplomat
12-13-2004, 05:19 AM
It's simple. When the beer freezes, it expands. The container does not expand with it.

My beer exploding has always been a little...quiet. You just open the freezer and there is a bottle of beer without a cap, and your frozen perogies are covered in frozen lager.

-Diplomat

ricdaman
12-13-2004, 05:31 AM
um... I live in Florida, and every grocery store around here (Publix, Winn Dixie, and Krogers) ALL sell refridgerated beer. Maybe that's just because I'm in a college town though.

theantelope
12-13-2004, 05:39 AM
Yeah, his story doesn't quite pan out. They don't sell beer in grocery stores *at all* in MA (it's illegal), and the liqour stores that sell beer in MA certainly do sell refridgerated beer.

wacki
12-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Funny the Krogers up here doesn't refrigerate their beer. I'm in a college town right now and still, no refrigerated beer at grocery stores. This sucks!!!

wacki
12-13-2004, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, his story doesn't quite pan out. They don't sell beer in grocery stores *at all* in MA (it's illegal)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ever say the did sell it???? Read it very carefully.

I never said grocery stores in MA sells beer at all, I only said they don't sell refrigerated beer.

In Indiana (which is where I am at right now), there is only a Marsh and Kroger in Bloomington. Neither refrigerate their beer.

Stu Pidasso
12-13-2004, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My beer exploding has always been a little...quiet. You just open the freezer and there is a bottle of beer without a cap, and your frozen perogies are covered in frozen lager.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frozen Larger coated perogies......yummy goodness.

Stu

cnfuzzd
12-13-2004, 06:43 AM
jesus wacki, i never meant to start such a controversey. I was jsut trying to be funny. sorry man...

peace

john nickle

daryn
12-13-2004, 07:05 AM
nevermind

jasonHoldEm
12-13-2004, 07:16 AM
You people are amateurs. Freezing your beer is clearly -EV, besides the explosive consequences it takes an hour to get cold. Ice + Water = cold beer in 10 minutes.

J

Lazymeatball
12-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I have seen beer in grocery stores in MA. You have to go west past Springfield into the sticks somewhere where there isn't a large enough population to sustain both a grocery store and a liquor store. When I saw it, it was refrigerated, but they pulled down a plastic curtain on Sundays and after 9pm. The selection was mostly Bud, Miller, and cheaper.

By the way, is beer that has been frozen drinkable after you let it thaw, or is it just skunked and flat? I usually just throw it out, because you only ever throw cheap beer in the freezer, if you had planned ahead of time, you wouldn't be stuck sucking down Pabst Blue Ribbon.

wacki
12-13-2004, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You people are amateurs. Freezing your beer is clearly -EV, besides the explosive consequences it takes an hour to get cold. Ice + Water = cold beer in 10 minutes.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Or 45 seconds if you spin it.

Lazymeatball, After you dethaw (best under a faucet) the beer it is perfectly fine.

jasonHoldEm
12-13-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or 45 seconds if you spin it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pfft...you can only do one at a time this way. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]I was going to point this out. Putting Beer in the freezer cools it down just as fast as putting it in the fridge. For the fastest way to cool it down, place in some ice water, and put some salt in the water, somehow this makes it cool down quicker. Read it in a magazine.

wacki
12-13-2004, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting Beer in the freezer cools it down just as fast as putting it in the fridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got $5,000 that says otherwise. Do you want to take the bet? I'm not kidding.

[ QUOTE ]
For the fastest way to cool it down, place in some ice water, and put some salt in the water, somehow this makes it cool down quicker. Read it in a magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Maxim that covered this, and the fastest way is spinning in ice water (45 seconds). The only thing that a small amount of salt does is alter the boiling temperature.

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was Maxim that covered this, and the fastest way is spinning in ice water (45 seconds). The only thing that a small amount of salt does is alter the boiling temperature.

[/ QUOTE ] ah, but who has time to spin all of them, just put them in there.

And no, I will not take that bet. I would have for a dollar, but I won't now anyways /images/graemlins/cool.gif

wacki
12-13-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And no, I will not take that bet. I would have for a dollar, but I won't now anyways /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever bet anyone for a dollar over the internet? I forgot it's really easy to do with paypal. It think it would be kind of fun.

fnord_too
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to point this out. Putting Beer in the freezer cools it down just as fast as putting it in the fridge. For the fastest way to cool it down, place in some ice water, and put some salt in the water, somehow this makes it cool down quicker. Read it in a magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The salt causes the ice to melt faster, thus pulling more heat out of the system (to melt said ice). I think the reason for this is that salt water has a higher freezing temperature, but somehow the salt can disolve into ice, meaning that the ice is not cold enough to be ice with its new salt level, so it melts, but it still needs to suck up the heat of fusion to melt. It's kind of like when propane goes from liquid to gas. It sucks a lot of heat out of the air, but in this case the reason it goes from liquid to gas is usually due to a change in pressure. Someone with less pedestrian knowledge will undoubtedly correct me on this, but that is my basic understanding of the phenomenon.

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever bet anyone for a dollar over the internet? I forgot it's really easy to do with paypal. It think it would be kind of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]Of course. I bet Daryn, Lazymeatball, and The Dude, one dollar the Yankees would sweep. I got some dec odds to, almost won it. But I transfered them a dollar through Pokerstars. The Dude made me mail him one, ass hole.

fnord_too
12-13-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Of course. I bet Daryn, Lazymeatball, and The Dude, one dollar the Yankees would sweep. I got some dec odds to, almost won it. But I transfered them a dollar through Pokerstars. The Dude made me mail him one, ass hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because The Dude wants the physical dollar to mount on his wall. He is wallpapering his room apperntly with singles he won off of 2+2'ers. He does not appear to mind taking -EV bets because he places such a high value on winning a bet in these cases.

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because The Dude wants the physical dollar to mount on his wall. He is wallpapering his room apperntly with singles he won off of 2+2'ers. He does not appear to mind taking -EV bets because he places such a high value on winning a bet in these cases.

[/ QUOTE ]
He actually gave me 20:1 on my bet to, as opposed to the 6:1 I was getting from Daryn and Lazymeatball

wacki
12-13-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The salt causes the ice to melt faster, thus pulling more heat out of the system (to melt said ice).

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, I forgot about that. It's chemistry 101. Adding salt (Sodium Chloride) decreases the freezing temperature of water to -9 deg Celcius. The salt you put on the road decreases it even more but that stuff can be hazardous to your health.

The thermal conductivity of aluminum is about 250 W/m*K so the water is still the limiting factor. I'm not sure that is the case with glass though. Glass's thermal conductivity is about 1 W/m*k, and water is only 0.58 W/m*k but it has the advantage of being a liquid. Either way spinning/whirlpools of cool water are the best way to cool beer as the most important factor is mixing the liquid in order to keep that aluminum heatsink working hard.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa120703a.htm

wacki
12-13-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome, he should use a pic of those bills as his avatar.

TSC you still up for a $1 bet? I'm guessing not. Especially after my chemistry of beer can analysis.

ThaSaltCracka
12-13-2004, 01:04 PM
no.

Sweaburg
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
If you really want to get cold beer fast quit pussy-footin' around and do like this dude did:

www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/ (http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/)

RT

Tyler Durden
12-13-2004, 01:47 PM
You buy warm beer? that is wacki.

DonWaade
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's midnight. The liqour stores are closed. You goto the grocery store and buy warm beer. To cool them quickly you put some in the freezer. Sometime you remember in time, sometimes your forget 1 or 2. It depends on how drunk you are. Understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, we're not talking rocket science here. He can explain it better but would need charts and graphs and stuff.

daryn
12-13-2004, 06:27 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I have seen beer in grocery stores in MA. You have to go west past Springfield into the sticks somewhere where there isn't a large enough population to sustain both a grocery store and a liquor store. When I saw it, it was refrigerated, but they pulled down a plastic curtain on Sundays and after 9pm. The selection was mostly Bud, Miller, and cheaper.

By the way, is beer that has been frozen drinkable after you let it thaw, or is it just skunked and flat? I usually just throw it out, because you only ever throw cheap beer in the freezer, if you had planned ahead of time, you wouldn't be stuck sucking down Pabst Blue Ribbon.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually yeah, now that i think of it you can get beer in the white hen in east boston.

wacki
12-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Corona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoo Hooo!!!! In bottles even!!!!! The list is up to 3!