PDA

View Full Version : AKo against psuedo-LAG. Why can't I raise?

Grease
12-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Ok, I know my play was much less than optimal. The player at the time didn't seem like a LAG, but it turns out he was. He was Tight/LAG, as in he was tight PF but went apeshit postflop with marginal hands. Where do I raise? What would I do to a three-bet?

I'm on the button with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

Borgata 6/12 Holdem (10 players)

UTG limps, 5 folds, CO (LAG) raises, I make it three, blinds fold, UTG calls, LAG calls.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG checks, LAG bets, I raise, UTG folds, LAG 3-bets, I call.

Turn: 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Bet, call.

River: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bet, call.

uw_madtown
12-13-2004, 02:45 AM
Preflop and flop looks good.

Raise the turn. If 3-bet, call down. If just called, then bet the river. Although I could see the case for calling the turn, so he bets the river (and you can raise) -- reason being that some players fold to turn raises pretty predictably. Here, I can see a weak flush or a Q folding to a turn raise. So maybe wait til the river to get the raise in, when he'll be more likely to call it?

Anyway, PF and flop are fine. Gotta raise on the turn or river, for sure. Not sure where though.

ErrantNight
12-13-2004, 02:52 AM
first of all... you can't judge this hand based on your previous knowledge.

i don't think i disagree with your logic. i'm not sure you get anything more out of this hand with a raise... if you HAD a read on him as a LAG, i'd raise this turn, particularly if he'd play it back at you with a J of /images/graemlins/club.gif or with more marginal hands.

Against an unknown, you're not terribly worried about the A /images/graemlins/club.gif , but a raise is liable to make a non /images/graemlins/club.gif hand fold... and you'd hafta call down if 3-bet, i think.

a set seems unlikely given the action, but you don't want to pay off a 3-bet on the river. if checked to, you'd hafta bet.

am i being a lil too weak here? or should you be folding to a 3-bet in either case, but still shouldn't raise because you're not getting called enough by worse hands, and might be raised with better hands that you pretty much are obligated to call with?

Grease
12-13-2004, 01:08 PM
When I called his river bet, he asked me if I had a club. I said yes, and he mucked AQo no club. I felt like a moron for not raising, but after playing with him for a few more hours, realized he would have folded the turn and probably just called the river.

River2Pair
12-13-2004, 01:18 PM
He waited for you to show your hand before he mucked, right?

Grease
12-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah, my face isn't that honest, but it's close.

chief444
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
If I were going to raise this after the fourth club comes, I think I would wait until the river. Anyone else agree?

Fat Nicky
12-13-2004, 02:21 PM
I agree.