PDA

View Full Version : how often does this really happen?

Joe826
12-13-2004, 01:35 AM
..players "taking shots" at you. I think this was recently mentioned in the "common situation" thread. Something like, if you're betting the with unimproved overcards everytime you raise preflop then players will notice this and start to take shots at you by raising the turn or whatever. How often does this really happen? Do you notice this alot? The reason I ask is because I don't, but i'm not necessarily looking either.

This is possibly an aspect of my game that I need to improve. Maybe i'm underestimating the majority of my 5/10 opponents when I assume they wouldn't pick up and exploit such a thing. I'm not talking about just checking the turn with overs, but any other situation, like folding to river bets/raises, etc.

Jeff W
12-13-2004, 01:46 AM
The majority of your opponents won't pick up one weakness or overaggression, but when they do, you will be punished severely.

In one of Ciaffone's books, he relates a story wherein Alekhine(Chess Grandmaster) makes a series of unorthodox moves against an unsound opponent. In a normal game, Alekhine's strategy would be faulty, but against this opponent he extracted the maximum EV.

In Hold'Em, good players don't play Game Theoretic Optimal poker. We make plays that exploit our opponents unsound play.

PsiOpt(U. Alberta Poker Bot) calls down Heads up with Jack-high because it uses pure game theory. I do not call down with Jack high because my opponents error on the side of passiveness and I have to respect their hand range when they show strength.

In 5/10 6-max I pay attention to table image, if I am showing down a lot of Ace high losers, I assume aggressive players will start check/raising me on the turn and I check behind to induce a bluff more often. I do this to balance my play because I'm betting out a lot on the turn with marginal hands after a pre flop steal.

If I suspect someone is trying to punish my aggression, I will call down a lot more often with second pair. With a good hand I will often put on a broken wing act and then raise them on the turn or river.

The higher your VPIP and post flop aggression are, the more you need to worry about people taking shots, because you will be in a lot more tough spots.

Hope this post was helpful.

kiddo
12-13-2004, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're betting the with unimproved overcards everytime you raise preflop then players will notice this and start to take shots at you by raising the turn or whatever. How often does this really happen? Do you notice this alot?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many players like u at 5/10, never raising a pot on turn without having something decent. But there are some who will do it a lot. And when u move to 10/20 there will be more players doing it a lot.

If u for example hit a draw against a very aggressive opponents u should sometimes call flop and raise turn, because often enough they will have nothing, this is especially true if u have a small pair to that draw.

beerbelly
12-13-2004, 04:35 AM
ive only tried multitabling a few times, but when i play three tables at once its much more difficult to follow the action and its often difficult to notice enough patterns to profitably exploit players tendencies. unless of course the tendency is extremely obvious i tend to play my cards more so than the player. is this a skill that you multitablers have been able to develop? do you need to be able to see all the tables on the screen at the same time? my resolution isnt good enough so im flipping back and forth... i think my approach of playing a more rigid cookie cutter style of game (relying on being solid and tight) is a real flaw but id be interested to hear what others have to say and if this problem is common to noob multitablers.

helpmeout
12-13-2004, 06:15 AM
It happens a few times at 5/10, just dont play too predictable.

At 10/20 it happens all the time.

Against people who do this sort of stuff you have to sometimes check your TP/overpair on the turn or river and then raise them.

When you induce a bluff on the river and checkraise them they suddenly become scared of you.

I have noticed that after making these kinds of plays I tend to get a lot more respect, people stop trying to make as many moves on you and play ABC.

kiddo
12-13-2004, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when i play three tables at once its much more difficult to follow the action and its often difficult to notice enough patterns to profitably exploit players tendencies. unless of course the tendency is extremely obvious i tend to play my cards more so than the player. is this a skill that you multitablers have been able to develop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and its much, much easier now when u can download hands from observation-tables and use PlayerView or GameTime+ to understand how your opponent plays.

But it is also true that if u are multitabling u have to do a little less bluffing (because u dont have a good read on who to bluff) and play a little more "weak" against the LAGs, because u are not sure what they are capable of doing.

Also, if u are involved in fights at more then 1 table (today, for example, I got TT, AK and AQ at same time) u can choose to only call down one of them - make it as easy as possible - because u dont have time to think about what else to do (say a LAG bets into u HU on a flop that is K high and u got QQ).

[ QUOTE ]
do you need to be able to see all the tables on the screen at the same time? my resolution isnt good enough so im flipping back and forth...

[/ QUOTE ]

I played on a laptop the first 6months online, I hate when the table pops up above each other. Makes it 10 times harder to have a read on the players and makes it easier to missclick. A screen with 1600*1200 will do a lot to your winrate if u are multitabling.

kiddo
12-13-2004, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that after making these kinds of plays I tend to get a lot more respect, people stop trying to make as many moves on you and play ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a guy already is doing to many moves I am not sure I want him to do less. What is best, a guy being to tricky or a guy playing ABC? Not easy to answer. If I had time focusing on him I would prefer he kept on doing his moves, but multitabling this is not always the case.

beerbelly
12-13-2004, 06:47 AM
i had a lot of the same problems as the OP but found that they were compounded severely by multitabling

thanks for the reply... very helpful advice...