PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on how I played this AK hand?

ilya
12-12-2004, 10:41 PM
(I apologize for the formatting, the converter is not working for me right now).

$20 PartyPoker SnG

Table Table 13998 (Real Money) -- Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: Boad1000 (740)
Seat 2: crammy (555)
Seat 3: leecris (640)
Seat 5: bigdog0327 (1175)
Seat 6: Mgmgottlieb (655)
Seat 7: mrzarembsky (726)
Seat 8: HH4969 (1780)
Seat 9: deeezMFnuts (995)
Seat 10: BuddyBadBeat (734)
deeezMFnuts posts small blind (15)
BuddyBadBeat posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mrzarembsky [ Kh, Ah ]
Boad1000 folds.
crammy calls (30)
leecris folds.
bigdog0327 calls (30)
Mgmgottlieb raises (75) to 75
mrzarembsky calls (75)

I DECIDED TO JUST CALL HERE B/C MY AK WAS SUITED AND I WOULD HAVE POSITION ON THE RAISER & ALL LIKELY CALLERS FOR THE REST OF THE HAND.

HH4969 folds.
deeezMFnuts folds.
BuddyBadBeat calls (45)
crammy calls (45)
bigdog0327 calls (45)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 3s, Th, Kc ] (5-HANDED, POT = 375)
BuddyBadBeat checks.
crammy checks.
bigdog0327 checks.
Mgmgottlieb bets (190)
mrzarembsky calls (190)

HERE, I DECIDED TO JUST CALL BECAUSE THERE WEREN'T MANY DRAWS ON THE FLOP AND I WANTED TO MAKE SURE NO ONE IN EP WAS SLOW-PLAYING A SET BEFORE I COMMITTED A LOT OF CHIPS TO THE POT. I FELT THE BETTOR COULD HAVE A WIDE RANGE OF HANDS, INCLUDING AA-TT, AK, AT, KQ, KJ, or even a drawing hand like QJs. I DIDN'T THINK HIS PREFLOP RAISE GAVE ME MUCH INFO, SINCE PLAYERS AT THE $20s MAKE SMALL RAISES IN LP WITH A WIDE RANGE OF HANDS.

BuddyBadBeat folds.
crammy folds.
bigdog0327 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5s ] (HEADS-UP, POT = 755)
Mgmgottlieb checks.
mrzarembsky bets (200)

I THOUGHT OF THIS AS A VALUE BET.

Mgmgottlieb calls (200)
** Dealing River ** : [ 9s ] (HEADS-UP, POT = 1155)
Mgmgottlieb bets (190)
Mgmgottlieb is all-In.
mrzarembsky calls (190)

I THINK THIS IS AN EASY CALL.

ghostface
12-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Other than betting the pot on the turn/going all in I would play it the same way. Imagine the tragedy of K9o. Ive seen people raise with much worse after previous limpers. Just tonight I busted someone with AA first hand who pushed with QTo after 5 limpers.

Allinlife
12-12-2004, 11:03 PM
preflop call looks fine..

flopcall seems pretty bad, How do you make sure no one is slow playing exactly by just calling? you are just giving open ended straight draws correct odds.

turn bet you could bet a bit more I think on the turn, perhaps even an allin

I hate when the caller bets into me when I was the raiser on the river, because you are usually beat in those situations, but pot odd says you call

FishBurger
12-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I like to get all my money in on the turn with TPTK, because if the villain happens to be on some kind of draw at that point, I want him to pay for it. But, I think that's more of a personal preference than anything.

Looks like you played it pretty well and were able to extract value out of a good hand.

Did the villian have 10,9 or did you win?

goldseraph
12-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Personally I would have reraised Mgmgottlieb 250-350 and forced out everyone else. Then you likely have him heads up with a nice hand, or you immediately win 180 chips. This early in a tourney, I don't like to get cute and allow draw outs. If there is a decent pot in front of me I will make a strong move and take the safe money. Of course, if you are reraised all in you have to seriously think about folding. I almost don't like getting hands like AKs with 10 left, it often leads to trouble if played incorrectly.

alexbrew
12-13-2004, 12:33 AM
I agree with you on going over the top on flop.

But this hand does more to expose the problems with Party than the play of the player. You're in a very early blind situation. Most of your stack still remains. However if you make a decent re-raise here to find out where you stand, you're pretty much committed to that pot if he goes all in on you with a re-raise. Thus the desire to just call and try to play for a smaller pot. In the end you end up all-in anyway... thus the nature of Party Poker.