PDA

View Full Version : Should I do this and will YOU help?

fimbulwinter
12-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, I'll be leaving poker soon enough. This winter break i'll be playing a lot of poker and that will be my last hurrah for a long while, at least until the end of med school.

I owe everyone in the forums a big thanks, especially the regs who've helped me with my game and have helped everyone else out there with theirs. you know who you are.

The one problem with these forums that i've seen at least, is that there is no base of knowledge upon which to discuss the hands and questions we post. there is no book that deals with SSNL, especially shorthanded SSNL. people come in needing that basis before they can contribute. as a sort of fond farewell I was thinking about writing a series of articles for the 2+2 magazine and using this forum as a sort of editing desk for but ideas and content. I feel i know a thing or two about SSNL, shorthanded specifically, and would like to share that knowledge instead of hiding it away when i leave.

My questions are:

1. is it worth the effort to put together a series of essays on 6max SSNL geared towards the beginner to intermediate player?

2. would you help and possibly write some yourself? (they wouldn't necessarily have to be 6max, just SSNL)

fim

Sephus
12-12-2004, 09:44 PM
i like that this forum exists, but i dont want too many 2+2 types switching from SSL to SSNL when they find out how much they could cut down their variance and increase their edge by switching over (which i think 2+2 "magazine" articles could spark). for me, it would be a small disaster if 50 2+2ers from the SSL forum started playing in my games. i don't mind people who are already interested in NL coming and learning, but i think it's bad for my bottom line if you/we do too good a job demystifying SSNL. maybe i'm being paranoid.

greg nice
12-12-2004, 10:03 PM
The Grifter tried doing these essays a while ago and just stopped after two =[

jeffraider
12-12-2004, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea where these essays are?

greg nice
12-12-2004, 10:28 PM
search

BobboFitos
12-12-2004, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea where these essays are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for search. They're excellent essays. I dont know why he stopped posting.

fimbulwinter
12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liked the grifter essays, but i was thinking of doing something a little more rudimentary; his stuff was the kind of thing that would help everyone in general, i wanted to write a series of articles specific to the new player.

bholdr
12-12-2004, 11:45 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. I have always valued your advice and i think you would be a good choice to write these essays.

Although I probably don't have the poker skills to contribute to the meat of the work, I am a skilled writer and(here's where i can be helpfull) an even more skilled editor. I would be willing to read each essay and edit for grammar, spelling, context, accessability, etc. I am especially good at finding interesting and understandable ways to articulate complicated, dry information (i spent a lot of time in college writing and editing essays on 19th century American written english, one of these days, i'll post in that idiom. you wouldn't beleive how many commas and semicolons i can fit into a sentance that still makes sense.)

Also, as a NL player who'se game is slowly but steadily improving (IMO, Ha!) I think editing and studying your thoughts would help MY game. Toss in the 'two+two internet magizine', and the commission available, that has been proposed, and i think you have a winner here.

DO IT! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cecil
12-13-2004, 01:31 AM
This sounds like a great idea. I recently made the transition from full-ring to 6-max and have looked through a good amount of your posts and have benefited greatly from your advice. I don't think I would have much to contribute to the articles seeing as this is a first time post from a lurker.

I do see where Sephus is coming from, however most limit players feel that limit is the best way to make money. I really can't see enough of them switching over to make a huge impact on the softness of the games.

Good luck with med school.

Allinlife
12-13-2004, 02:41 AM
I agree with Sephus, sure it will be fantastic but I think spoon-feeding sucks.