PDA

View Full Version : Counter to the System

06-26-2002, 12:39 PM
Here's my counter when I know someone is playing "The System."

The key to the success of the system is that it preys upon a good player's fear of busting out early. A good player doesn't want to risk all the chips preflop - a good player can score a lot of chips by good post-flop play, picking the right spots to bluff, etc. Thus, the System player steals lots of blinds by going all-in early.

To counteract the system, you have to shed at least some amount of this fear. But not too much. The trick is finding the proper balance between precaution and aggressiveness.

In the early rounds of a local $30 rebuy tourney, I have adopted the following standards. When I know or strongly suspect that someone is playing the system, I will reraise or call all in with any pocket pair 99 or better. I will fold anything else (even AK).

For me, this is the propper middle ground between precaution and aggressiveness that I am comfortable with given the tourney stakes. I know that, given the wide range of hands the System player will be raising all in with, I am likely to be a statistical favorite and bust him out or double up my stack. There is also a reasonable chance that he will show me a bigger pair or put a bad beat on me. That's poker. I am not afraid to get busted and go home. There is a better chance that I will bust him or double up, so I can call or reraise with no fear.

These standards may change if I am very large-stacked or very short-stacked. They would certainly change if I were playing in a higher stakes tourney. I doubt I would be willing to call all in with 99 on the first days of the Big One at the WSOP. That is why (as I think Sklansky states) the system works better the larger the tourney because players are more afraid to bust out early.

The point of this whole long ramble is that to counteract a player using the System, I am constantly attempting to define a set of hands that, given the tourney stakes, the chip levels, and other tourney factors, will achieve the proper balance between precaution and aggressiveness than I am comfortable with. Because the System player will move all-in with a (relatively) large number of hands, I will call or reraise with more hands than I would against a player I knew to be a good tight-aggressive tourney player.

Any thoughts?

06-26-2002, 01:34 PM
You have the wrong idea. Simply make the minimum raise everytime you come into a pot, assuming he hasnt moved in already. This way he will fold everything except AA KK AKs. If he has moved in, only call with what you normally would. You dont want to call off chips. This is the worst thing you can do in poker. The system player is not making bluffs, he is going in with relatively good all in hands. Not as good as normal hands that i would go in with, but not so bad that you should call with 99.

06-26-2002, 02:27 PM
My whole post was referring to situations where I am acting after a player using the System has raised all-in in front of me and I am deciding whether to call.

If you know that he has relatively loose hand requirements for raising all-in, why wouldn't you take advantage of this. Under the System, he could be all-in with most suited connectors, down to 45s, or with any pair (most of which, of course, are smaller than 9s), or with Axs. Against this range of hands, 99 is very likely the best hand, very possibly a big favorite.

And, assume you are playing in a local rebuy tourney with 15 minute levels, blinds doubling each level. (Unfortunately, the best tourneys I can find in my area). You don't have all day to wait around for a premium hand to bust the System player. He will hang around and steal blinds for a long time if someone doesn't bust him out.

As I said, I would adjust my requirements for calling his all in for other situations (such as where the tourney levels increase more slowly).

But why is my main point - that you should at least slightly loosen up what you will call with against a System player who raises all-in - not a valid point?

06-27-2002, 02:20 AM
THe system is not aimed at rebuy tournies. It simply would not work in any way, except after the rebuy period. Anyone using it during the rebuy period is a total fish, and they will lose lots of money using the system. If u know someone is using it, then by all means call if its during the rebuy period. LIke i said though, you wont find the system being used in rebuy tournies during the rebuy period (i hope!)

06-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Sorry for the confusion - I was talking about after the rebuy period ends.