PDA

View Full Version : Is Pennington Really That Bad?

IggyWH
12-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I was watching the Jets vs Steelers game today (12-1 now BABY!) and I was very disappointed in Chad Pennington. I never really watched him play but I respected him because when he was healthy, he seemed to get the job done.

I heard the knock on him that he doesn't have arm strength but I didn't really believe it. I just thought people thought that way because they run a lot of quick, short passing routes.

Watching the game today though, what I saw was a HORRIBLE arm. It seemed like every pass he made was a floater with nothing behind it. The first pick he through it had no business being picked off. He threw it to the sideline and it was such a puss pass that Troy had a chance to catch up to it and pick it off. Even on the deep ball he threw and got the catch on, it had air under it but it was a floater.

Was this just a bad game for him today or is this his usual play?

Michael Davis
12-12-2004, 08:14 PM
His arm looked horrible, perhaps he is still fighting an injury. It has become apparent this year that Pennington will not fulfill the expectations he put upon himself by playing so well when he first became the Jets starter.

-Michael

jakethebake
12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Yes.

KowCiller
12-13-2004, 10:58 AM
It's never been a secret that arm strength is not Chad's best attribute. He has been somewhat injury prone, but I think Pennington is a great QB. He's had something like 70% completion percentage throughout his career. He's a born leader and is comfortable running the offense on the field.

To say "is he really that bad" is pretty ludicrous in my mind, considering probably at least 25 teams in the NFL would drop their QB to get Chad, if it was feasible.

KoW

jakethebake
12-13-2004, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To say "is he really that bad" is pretty ludicrous in my mind, considering probably at least 25 teams in the NFL would drop their QB to get Chad, if it was feasible.
KoW

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Name them...

KowCiller
12-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Chad has many intangibles that most QBs on this list don't have, but based squarely on passer rating here are 22 teams:

Packers
Giants
Jaguars
Texans
Panthers
Broncos
Seahawks
Falcons
Titans
49ers
Bengals
Saints
Lions
Bills
Browns
Raiders
Cowboys
Ravens
Cardinals
Bears
Redskins
Dolphins

If Chad doesn't get hurt this season, you can add Rams and Patriots to the list.

So you're right, I couldnt find 25 teams... only 24.

KoW

jakethebake
12-13-2004, 12:18 PM
You really believe all those teams would "drop their QB to get Chad, if it was feasible"??? You're insane. Listing QBs with worse passer ratings doesn't really tell us that those teams would drop their QBs for him.

[ QUOTE ]
Chad has many intangibles that most QBs on this list don't have, but based squarely on passer rating here are 22 teams:

Packers
Giants
Jaguars
Texans
Panthers
Broncos
Seahawks
Falcons
Titans
49ers
Bengals
Saints
Lions
Bills
Browns
Raiders
Cowboys
Ravens
Cardinals
Bears
Redskins
Dolphins

If Chad doesn't get hurt this season, you can add Rams and Patriots to the list.

So you're right, I couldnt find 25 teams... only 24.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
12-13-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Packers

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to put the what were you thinking on the above. Doesn't that tell you that basing that decision only on passer rating for part of one season is bullshit? Seriously. The packers man? Are you nuts?

IggyWH
12-13-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Packers

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to put the what were you thinking on the above. Doesn't that tell you that basing that decision only on passer rating for part of one season is bullshit? Seriously. The packers man? Are you nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 the teams he named are nuts :

Packers - Farve for Pennington? No way
Giants - MAYBE, but they think Eli will be just as good as his brother
Jaguars - Leftwich is WAY better than Pennington
Texans - I think they're quite happy with Carr
Panthers - They're quite happy with Delome
Broncos - Yes
Seahawks - They're quite happy with Hasselbeck
Falcons - Vick... Need I say more?
Titans - McNair... another easy one
49ers - Yes
Bengals - They're quite high on Carson
Saints - MAYBE... Brooks is great sometimes and garbage at others
Lions - Yes
Bills - They are quite happy with Bledsoe
Browns - Yes
Raiders - Yes
Cowboys - Yes
Ravens - Yes
Cardinals - Yes
Bears - Yes
Redskins - Yes
Dolphins - Yes

lu_hawk
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
As a Jets fan I've had to go through some tough times(they had a 1-15 season not so long ago). Pennington may not be the greatest out there but he is a good, efficient passer and he is very smart and is the best quarterback the jets have had in quite some time.

stabn
12-13-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1/2 the teams he named are nuts :

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all your choices. I didn't really even bother going team by team. Seeing the packers on there, and having anyone think for a second that they'd take him over favre? That's just insane.

IndieMatty
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
In Chad (we still) Trust.

Non_Comformist
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
I gave him 15 from that list and I was generous.

Still Pennington is neither horrible nor top tier. He's good. Needs the right offense and supporting cast though.