PDA

View Full Version : KJ - in the BB

06-24-2002, 07:06 PM
PL He tournament blinds at 100 & 50 early shortly after the rebuy period 8 handed. I have 1300 after posting the blind, which is below average. I’m in the big blind with KJ UTG +1 who is a loose player calls as does a mid position player along with the SB.

Flop JT2 rainbow. I lead at the pot with a bet of 400. Loose player calls he has me out chipped by 500.

The other 2 limpers fold, River 7.

Now what? If I bet I have to make it the full 900 to have any chance of pushing him off a draw. If I check he will almost certainly bet with or without a hand and I not sure if I can call.

My problem is that my opponent could have a broad range of hands 89 is one of them but so is KQ equally I cannot be sure he hasn’t got AJ. I do not think I’m up against a set because I think he would have raised with TT and JJ pre flop

Going into survival mode the answer has to be check & fold but did I dig my own grave by leading at the pot from the BB when I was going to have a bad position on the subsequent rounds?

Secondly if my opponent had an open ended bottom straight draw could this ever be a good call given that he has 2 players to act behind him and the pot is only giving him 2/1 for the call?

Thanks for your views.

Ross

06-24-2002, 09:36 PM
> did I dig my own grave by leading at the pot from the BB when I was going to have a bad position on the subsequent rounds?

Yes, although I don't see how you could have played the hand differently. (The standard answer would be not to play KJ in the first place, but in the BB, you're pretty much doomed)

Since he called your flop bet, I would put him on a draw, as he probably would have raised any made hand he wanted to play as you only have one bet left. If he got there on turn, there's really not much you can do about it, esp. if you think that he would bet out with almost anything if you check to him. Move in and hope for the best.

> Secondly if my opponent had an open ended bottom straight draw could this ever be a good call given that he has 2 players to act behind him and the pot is only giving him 2/1 for the call?

He's about 5:1 to make his str8 on turn. He gets break-even implied odds if he expects you to pay him off (after all, you did have more than 1/3 of your stack already in) and/or if he figures to get a free river card. If he has one or two overcards along with his draw which he figures to be good then he has correct odds to call.

As for the 2 players left to act; I'd think that the risk that someone raises behind is pretty low since, given your stacks, a raise cannot be expected to take the pot down and would require a huge made hand.

cu

Ignatius