PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10: Calling down vs. Lag

Jeff W
12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Villain is VPIP: 40 PFR: 24 AF-Total: 2.9
These stats are significant.

I'm only posting the critical decision points from two hands. Should I calldown in these situations?

I think everything but the calldowns is standard, but if you think I played poorly in some other way, please tell me.

Thanks for comments.

P.S.: Downswing hit -300 BB for those following my saga with undivided attention /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Decision 1:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Js, Jh.
UTG calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB 3-bets, UTG calls, Hero caps, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 5h, 2d, Kh (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, BB raises, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Decision 2/3:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Ks, Jh.
Hero raises, 2 folds, SB 3-bets, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Kd, 6s, 4s (3 players)
SB bets, BB calls, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Ad (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Jeff W
12-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Well, no one responded to this, so I guess I'll weigh in with my thinking in these hands.

Hand 1: I don't think he'll usually make this check-raise with TT-66. Therefore the only hands I am ahead of are Axh and there are few of these left that are worthy of a 3 bet with the Kh on board. The flop call is okay with these pot odds and ~4 outs, but I should be planning on folding a non-J/heart turn.

Hand 2: Again, I think a call on the flop is okay with ~4 outs but I should have folded the turn when the Ace hit. Had the ace not hit, I think a calldown here would be okay against an AF=2.9. Thoughts?

spider
12-12-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Again, I think a call on the flop is okay with ~4 outs but I should have folded the turn when the Ace hit. Had the ace not hit, I think a calldown here would be okay against an AF=2.9. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop call is much more than OK, you are getting 14 to 1 holding top pair with a decent kicker. And if he is a real LAG, you shouldn't be talking about outs b/c there's a good chance you're ahead.

Really, if you are even thinking about folding this flop, you probably need to just avoid LAGs completely.

As far as the turn... I'd probably just call it down the whole way since (1) pot is big, (2) you're headsup with a LAG. Without the ace on the turn, call down would be 100% mandatory.

Even with the ace, I think you still have to call it down against most LAGs who 3 bet liberally (I'm assuming that's true here with his PFR of 24%).

Also, be careful about how you use the AF of 2.9. If he knows you would fold a hand this good, he is going to come after you almost everytime when the pot is big and he has you headsup.

Alobar
12-12-2004, 09:22 PM
hand 1 Im folding the turn here if I don't improve

Hand 2: yuk. I hate these hands. Whenever I call down I feel sick when I lose, but I never quite feel good about the fold either. I guess alot depends on what I have seen him make plays in this spot with in the past.