PDA

View Full Version : The system

06-24-2002, 04:04 PM
wife out of town, so I decided to take a flyer at the Sunday night no limit tournament at Artichoke Joes. I quicky realized that I had no idea what the hell I was doing (first time no limit), so I decided to try the "system".

I was amazed at how tight I ended up playing. at first glance, playing in DS's manner seems to be way loose, but the nature of the table I was at (or NL tournaments in general) was that most hands were raised preflop. as such, I muck, muck, mucked.

the first time I got to raise, I moved all in with 77 and won the blinds. I was blinded off for a few rounds, and then moved in with 99 on the button. the BB called after a looong think, and we turned our cards over: JT off for him.

flop came with a J and it was rebuy time (one allowed, twice as many chips as the initial buyin for the same price).

I was blinded off a bunch more, and then moved in with 55. called by 77 and we split the pot when the board read AAKK8 (whew!).

the next time I moved in, I had JT in mid position and opened. the BB took his time and called with AA. Buhbye.

It was fun, and I can see how the format can be addicting for a lot of people. I don't think it's for me, but it's a nice change of pace once in a while.

a few observations.

most of the time, I would have mucked the hands that I would have raised with. the suited connectors and all pairs qualifications came up frequently, but often after someone had already raised the pot in front of me. I never chickeded out with 76s UTG, but only because it never happened.

AA, KK and AKs come so infrequently that I never got a chance to reraise. I mucked TT to an early raise once, though, so, if anything, I stuck to my plan.

I had a hand that I could have limped with the field with.

KTs in late position. blinds were 60-100, my stack was about 1100. Flop came K-x-x with one of my suit. guy in late position bet a hundred and got one caller. turn was Q of my suit, giving me top pair and a flush draw. the flop bettor bet two hundred and took it down.

had I been in the hand, I would have moved in on him on the turn (right play?), but I wasn't there. I can see how Sklansky's no limit for idiots system keeps me out of situations where I have to make a decision.

all in all it was a fun experience. thankfully it was funded completely (as well as my steak dinner) by earlier 6-12 play.

06-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Now someone has to devise a counter system to "The System"....then a counter to the counter etc.

Going all in UTG with 67 suited is very risky in my opinion....

06-25-2002, 10:09 AM
67 suited - not as risky as you might think. For example if you have sufficient respect around the table such that you will only get called by AA, KK or AK then 67s is a better hand to move with than, for example, AQ.

At least I think it is, 67s definitely has a better chance against a random hand from AA/KK/AK but the Ace in your hand makes it less likely that someone will find a hand to call you with.

Andy.

06-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Your JT was suited right? Otherwise the system says to fold it.

06-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Why is a counter to the System needed?

Nobody has won with the System.

I've seen at least 10 threads on here already with people trying the system, and they always get busted out before the final table.

Eventually you will run into AA, KK, etc.

Or will be low stacked (as the System will never get you a big stack), and you will be called by a big stack who even has 99 or AJ, and you will get knocked out.

The amount of posts on the System is amazing considering it was created for somebody who has never played poker before just so she would get to play for quite awhile and not make ANY decisions.

So I hope people play it more and more as you'll be short stacked, particularly in a tourney whose levels rise quickly at 15 minute intervals, and will get runover by a big stack, hopefully me.

RandyB

06-25-2002, 02:23 PM
believe me, I was conditioned to fold everything I was dealt at that point.

06-25-2002, 02:27 PM
I realized that the system would likely not make me a winner in this event, however, having zero no limit experience prior to it, I thought that I had nothing to lose by trying it. I also figured that, since I was free-rolling, it would be fun (and it was).

I can see how it would help someone with no experience, but I think I can come up with a better plan for my next time out. Possibly a better plan would be to ignore no-limit events, as I think I like limit poker more.=)