PDA

View Full Version : QQ first hand of tournament

Sidekick
12-12-2004, 03:29 PM
PokerStars! $5+$0.50 tournament.

First hand of the tournament and I have no notes on anyone at the table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, MP2 calls t60, MP3 folds, CO calls t60, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1500</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">Hero ??? </font>

I know I should have raised more PF with the 2 limpers in front, but I don't really like my pocket QQ that much with 2 limpers and so many people left to act behind me on the first hand of the tournament. When SB pushes I was thinking that my hand is most likely best right now, but there are still 2 people to act behind me when it gets around to me. This seems to me to be a good example of a +$chip EV but -$EV play. I know how I played it and I know how it feels like it should be played, but comments and opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

captZEEbo1
12-12-2004, 03:41 PM
call

FishBurger
12-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Your preflop raise is too small here. All you did was help build a big multi-way pot, which is not really what you want with queens. I would've bet about twice the pot here, say around 120 to 140. That will make it more difficult for everybody and their brother to see the flop in some kind of big flop orgy.

Now, how do you deal with an allin re-raise preflop with queens? Typically, loose players like to make dumb plays like this early in a tourney with marginal hands. With the small preflop raises, you could be up against AK, a lesser pair, or something crazy like 87 suited.

However, aces or kings wouldn't want to get cutesy with this pot either. You could easily be way behind here.

In my opinion, since this a regular SNG and you have a ton of chips left, there is no reason to gamble here. You will have quite a while to play with small blinds and will likely see a much better opportunity than this to get all your chips into the pot. If this were a turbo, I think a call would be fine here, because you might not get a better opportunity later, but here a laydown looks good to me.

PE101
12-12-2004, 05:06 PM
I probably would have folded and kicked myself for the weak bet PF.

So, what DID you do? What was the outcome?

Karak567
12-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I've seen people push with A2os in the first hand of a 5.50 before... call.