PDA

View Full Version : Making sure I understand the "Protecting your hand" part of SSH

MikeRand2000
12-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm now 1K hands into my Party Poker experience, so I'm going back through for a second read of SSH (awesome book, btw, in case anyone is still wondering).

Could someone let me know if the following are the right takeaways from the Protecting your hand chapter?

1) Protecting your hand is about increasing your pot equity.
2) You do this one of two ways:
- Getting weaker hands to increase the pot without enough pot equity, thus increasing my pot equity; or
- Getting weaker hands to fold, buying myself blanks (with made hands) or outs (with drawings hands)
3) In order of how hard I have to work to get someone to fold, it goes bet, check raise, wait for the turn.

Is that right? If so, I had a couple of questions:

1) Am I right that protecting your hand is used in different situations compared to a semi-bluff? From my reading of SSH and HEPFAP, it looks like protecting your hand refers to top pair and open-ended straight / 4-flush draws - where I'm probably ahead in pot equity excluding folding from my opponents - whereas semibluffing looks more like a 2nd/3rd pair or gutshot draw move - where I can only get enough pot equity through my opponents' folding.

2) Is the "Two Overpair Hsnds" section just an extension of the theory that you may need to wait until the turn to protect your hand? Or is there some nuance that I don't understand?

Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Stork
12-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Protecting your hand is about betting or raising to put your opponents in a position in which they have to either fold or make an unprofitable call.

Freakin
12-14-2004, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Protecting your hand is about betting or raising to put your opponents in a position in which they have to either fold or make an unprofitable call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It must be a lose-lose situation for them. Either they make a -EV call with improper pot odds, or they make a zero-EV fold and forfeit their pot equity. Either way, once you are in a position to protect your hand, you are "winning" money.

Freakin

AKQJ10
12-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Be sure to check out the SSHE discussions in the Books/Software forum as well, if you haven't already.