PDA

View Full Version : I think I got lucky with this hand...I played it like a tool

etgryphon
12-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey guys and gals...

Here is a Hand that I want some comments on. It is a 5+0.5 SnG. I think that I played it terrible.

millerljb is at seat 1 with 2165.
etgryphon is at seat 2 with 2415.
bollen75 is at seat 4 with 1420.
The button is at seat 4.

millerljb posts the small blind of 75.
etgryphon posts the big blind of 150.

millerljb: -- --
etgryphon: Jd 9d
bollen75: -- --

Pre-flop:

bollen75 calls.
millerljb calls.
etgryphon checks.

Flop (board: 2c Ts Js)

millerljb checks.
etgryphon bets 450.
bollen75 folds.
millerljb raises to 1800.
etgryphon calls.

Turn (board: 2c Ts Js 6h)

millerljb goes all-in for 215.
etgryphon calls.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

millerljb shows 9s 6s.
etgryphon shows Jd 9d.

River (board: 2c Ts Js 6h 5c)

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

millerljb has 9s 6s Ts Js 6h: a pair of sixes.
etgryphon has Jd 9d Ts Js 6h: a pair of jacks.

Hand #3600811-128 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
etgryphon wins 4480 with a pair of jacks.

COMMENTS:

I played it way too strong for the hand that I flopped and I should have let it go for the reraise but it just felt like a weak overbet...

-Gryph

ghostface
12-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Its tough to say with no reads on the villain. What hands could you put him on to make this move with? You have to be worried about all better J's and TT and overpairs. Doesnt seem like he has any of these as he would probly raise PF with them.

Its a tough call to make but if you had a solid read on his raising standards I think it could be the right play. Its heads up and you have TP medium kicker. Sounds like a hand to gamble for first with. Its not gonna be some great laydown by any standards I dont think.

etgryphon
12-12-2004, 09:17 AM
He was a pretty loose player with crazy standards like all suited cards. He had gone from Chip Leadr to bottom of the heap multiple times. I had also been playing hyper aggressive to get someone to do this exact play, but I wanted to have better cards. And I had advertized a fold to a big reraise to steal some chips...but I don't trust myself now because I want an objective opinion

-Gryph

MrMon
12-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, I think you made a pretty standard play. You held top pair, guy showed no strength, and was loose. He put all his chips in on a draw, which tends to be a bad play, as you were a 60-40 favorite. Blinds were still low, so there was no reason for him to make this play.

To put it bluntly, you may question your play, but his was REALLY questionable. I've made an awful lot of money on exactly this play from where you were standing. Sure, you're gonna lose occasionally, but in the long run, make this bet every time if you've got a good read on your opponent.

ghostface
12-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Also instead of calling the flop you have to push. Remember you are gambling for first and settling for third if you are actually beat. Unless this guy is tricky I dont see how he could make an 1800 bet on the flop. I can't see him being a solid player since he would invest 90% of his stack on the flop instead of pushing it in. That alone would send alarms off about him not having a good hand. It looks like he is trying to steal here.